Subject: Critical Care and Intensive Care Medicine | Research
Introduction Perioperative goal-directed therapy (PGDT) may improve postoperative outcome in high-risk surgery patients but its adoption has been slow. In 2012, we initiated a performance improvement (PI) project focusing on the implementation of PGDT during high-risk a... View more
1. Hamilton MA, Cecconi M, Rhodes A. A systematic review and meta-analysis on the use of preemptive hemodynamic intervention to improve postoperative outcomes in moderate and high-risk surgical patients. Anesth Analg. 2011;112:1392-402.
2. Grocott MP, Dushianthan A, Hamilton MA, Mythen MG, Harrison D, Rowan K, et al. Perioperative increase in global blood flow to explicit defined goals and outcomes after surgery: a cochrane systematic review. Br J Anaesth. 2013;111:535-48.
3. Kuper M, Gold SJ, Callow C, Quraishi T, King S, Mulreany A, et al. Intraoperative fluid management guided by oesophageal Doppler monitoring. BMJ. 2011;342:d3016.
4. Venn R, Steele A, Richardson P, Poloniecki J, Grounds M, Newman P. Randomized controlled trial to investigate influence of the fluid challenge on duration of hospital stay and perioperative morbidity in patients with hip fractures. Br J Anaesth. 2002;88:65-71.
5. Gan TJ, Soppitt A, Maroof M, El-Moalem H, Robertson KM, Moretti E, et al. Goal-directed intraoperative fluid administration reduces length of hospital stay after major surgery. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:820-6.
6. Sinclair S, James S, Singer M. Intraoperative intravascular volume optimisation and length of hospital stay after repair of proximal femoral fracture: randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 1997;315:909-12.
7. Pearse R, Dawson D, Fawcett J, Rhodes A, Grounds RM, Bennett ED. Early goal-directed therapy after major surgery reduces complications and duration of hospital stay. A randomised, controlled trial [ISRCTN38797445]. Crit Care. 2005;9:R687-93.
8. Pearse RM, Harrison DA, MacDonald N, Gillies MA, Blunt M, Ackland G, et al. Effect of a perioperative, cardiac output-guided hemodynamic therapy algorithm on outcomes following major gastrointestinal surgery: a randomized clinical trial and systematic review. JAMA. 2014;311:2181-90.
9. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Medical technologies guidance MTG3: CardioQ-ODM oesophageal doppler monitor. March 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/MTG3.
10. NICE draft guidance on cardiac output monitoring device published for consultation. http://www.nice.org.uk/newsroom/pressreleases/ DraftGuidanceOnCardiacOutputMonitoringDevice.jsp.