Production of vanillin by bioengineering has gained popularity due to consumer demand towards vanillin produced by biological systems. Natural vanillin from vanilla beans is very expensive to produce compared to its synthetic counterpart. Current bioengineering works ma... View more
1. Rao, S. R. and Ravishankar, G. A. (2000) Vanilla flavor: production by conventional and biotechnological routes. J. Sci. Food Agric. 80, 289-304.
2. Cheng, W-Y., Hsiang, C-Y., Bau, D-T., Chen, J-C., Shen, W-S., Li, C-C., Lo, H-Y., Wu, S-L., Chiang, S-Y. and Ho, T-Y. (2007) Microarray analysis of vanillinregulated gene expression profile in human hepatocarcinoma cells. Pharmacol. Res. 56, 474-482.
3. Cerrutti, P., Alzamora, S. M. and Vidales, S. L. (1997) Vanillin as an antimicrobial for producing shelf-stable strawberry puree. J. Food Sci. 62, 608-610.
4. Market Insider, ITC (2016) Frightening ride forecast for vanilla. International Trade Centre. Available at http://www.intracen.org/itc/blogs/marketinsider/Frightening-ride-forecast-for-vanilla/. Accessed September 19, 2016.
5. Rana, R., Mathur, A., Jain, C. K., Sharma, S. K. and Mathur, G. (2013) Microbial production of vanillin. Int. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. Res. 4, 227-234.
6. de Melo, J. (2015) Developing Countries in the World Economy. World Scientific, Singapore.
7. Sabisch, M. and Smith, D. (2014) The complex regulatory landscape for natural flavor ingredients. Sigma-Aldrich. Available at http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/white-papers/flavors-andfragrances/natural-flavor-ingredients-regulations.html#definitions. Accessed December 1, 2015.
8. Converti, A., Aliakbarian, B., Domínguez, J. M., Vazquez, G. B. and Perego, P. (2010) Microbial production of biovanillin. Braz. J. Microbiol. 41, 519-530.
9. Longo, M. A. and Sanromán, M. A. (2006) Production of food aroma compounds: microbial and enzymatic methodologies. Food Technol. Biotechnol. 44, 335-353.