Subject: Alcohol | Research Article | Substance use disorder | Socioeconomic disadvantage | Substance use treatment | Service use | Quality of life | Drug | Psychiatry and Mental health
Background: People seeking treatment for substance use disorders often have additional health and social issues.\ud Although individuals presenting with alcohol as the primary drug of concern (PDOC) account for nearly half of all\ud treatment episodes to the Australian ... View more
1. AIHW. Drugs in Australia 2010: tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare; 2011.
2. Babor TF, Caetano R, Casswell S, Edwards G, Giesbrecht N, Graham K, Grube JW, Hill L, Holder H, Homel R, et al. Alcohol: No ordinary commodity: research and public policy. 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2010.
3. Collins DJ, Lapsley HM. The costs of tobacco, alcohol and illicit drug abuse to Australian society in 2004/05. In. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia; 2008.
4. WHO. Global health risks: mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. Geneva: World Health Organization Press; 2009.
5. Teesson M, Hall W, Slade T, Mills K, Grove R, Mewton L, Baillie A, Haber P. Prevalence and correlates of DSM-IV alcohol abuse and dependence in Australia: findings of the 2007 national survey of mental health and wellbeing. Addiction. 2010;105(12):2085-94.
6. Reavley NJ, Cvetkovski S, Jorm AF, Lubman DI. Help-seeking for substance use, anxiety and affective disorders among young people: results from the 2007 Australian National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2010;44(8):729-35.
7. Room R. Stigma, social inequality and alcohol and drug use. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2005;24(2):143-55.
8. Gossop M, Marsden J, Stewart D, Lehmann P, Edwards C, Wilson A, Segar G. Substance use, health and social problems of service users at 54 drug treatment agencies. Intake data from the National Treatment Outcome Research Study. Br J Psychiatry. 1998;173:166-71.
9. Laudet AB, Stanick V, Sands B. What could the program have done differently? A qualitative examination of reasons for leaving outpatient treatment. J Subst Abus Treat. 2009;37(2):182-90.
10. Marsden J, Gossop M, Stewart D, Rolfe A, Farrell M. Psychiatric symptoms among clients seeking treatment for drug dependence. Intake data from the National Treatment Outcome Research Study. Br J Psychiatry. 2000;176: 285-9.