An environmental risk assessment (ERA) for the aquatic compartment in Europe from human use was developed for the old antibiotic Trimethoprim (TMP), comparing exposure and effects. The exposure assessment is based on European risk assessment default values on one hand a... View more
1. Straub, J.O.; Hutchinson, T.H. Environmental Risk Assessment for Human Pharmaceuticals: The Current State of International Regulations. In Human Pharmaceuticals in the Environment: Current and Future Perspectives. Emerging Topics in Ecotoxicology 4; Brooks, B.W., Huggett, D.B., Eds.; Springer: New York, NY, USA, 2012; pp. 17-48.
2. Roche Safety Data Sheet Trimethoprim, version 02.11.2011; F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd: Basle, Switzerland, 2011. Available online: http://www.roche.com/responsibility/environment/ safety_data_sheets/ safety_data_sheets-row.htm (accessed on 25 February 2013).
3. Clarke‟s Analysis of Drugs and Poisons. Subscription online version: https://www. medicinescomplete.com/mc/login.htm (accessed on 12 March 2013).
4. WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology. ATC/DDD Codes. Norwegian Institute of Public Health: Oslo, Norway. Available online: http://www.whocc.no/atc_ddd_index/ (accessed on 12 March 2013).
5. Gros, M.; Petrović, M.; Barceló, D. Development of a multi-residue analytical methodology based on liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) for screening and trace level determination of pharmaceuticals in surface and wastewaters. Talanta 2006, 70, 678-690.
6. PhysProp open access online database. Available online: http://www.syrres.com/what-wedo/databaseforms.aspx?id=386 (accessed on 12 March 2013).
7. Chen, X.-Q.; Cho, S.J.; Li, Y.; Venkatesh, S. Prediction of aqueous solubility of organic compounds using a QSPR. J. Pharm. Sci. 2002, 91, 1838-1852.
8. Ran, Y.; He, Y.; Yang, G.; Johnson, J.L.H.; Yalkowsy, S.H. Estimation of aqueous solubility of organic compounds by using the general solubility equation. Chemosphere 2002, 48, 487-509.
9. Bergsjø, T.; Søgnen, E. Plasma and tissue levels of trimethoprim in the rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri, after absorption from fresh and salt water. Acta Vet. Scand. 1980, 21, 18-25.
10. Qiang, Z.; Adams, C. Potentiometric determination of acid dissociation constants (pKa) for human and veterinary antibiotics. Water Res. 2004, 38, 2874-2890.