Subject: RC1200 | Industrial psychology | BF | Psychology | Psychology Research and Behavior Management | psychopathology | mental health | HF5548.7-5548.85 | Review | self-perceptions | BF1-990 | body image
David Tod1 Christian Edwards2 Ieuan Cranswick1 1School of Sport and Exercise Science, Faculty of Science, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, Merseyside, 2Institute of Sport and Exercise Science, University of Worcester, Worcester, Worcestershire, UK Abstract: ... View more
1. Pope HG Jr, Katz DL, Hudson JI. Anorexia nervosa and “reverse anorexia” among 108 male bodybuilders. Compr Psychiatry. 1993;34(6):406-409.
2. Pope HG Jr, Gruber AJ, Choi P, Olivardia R, Phillips KA. Muscle dysmorphia: an underrecognized form of body dysmorphic disorder. Psychosomatics. 1997;38(6):548-557.
3. Pope HG Jr, Phillips KA, Olivardia R. The Adonis Complex: The Secret Crisis of Male Body Obsession. New York, NY: The Free Press; 2000.
4. Drewnowski A, Yee DK. Men and body image: are males satisfied with their body weight? Psychosom Med. 1987;49(6):626-634.
5. McCreary DR, Sasse DK. An exploration of the drive for muscularity in adolescent boys and girls. J Am Coll Health. 2000;48(6):297-304.
6. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th ed. Washington, DC: APA; 2013.
7. Ahmad A, Rotherham N, Talwar D. Muscle dysmorphia: one in 10 men in gyms believed to have 'bigorexia'. BBC Newsbeat. 2015. Available from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34307044/muscle-dysmorphia-one-in-10-men-in-gyms-believed-to-have-bigorexia. Accessed June 10, 2016.
8. LeisureDB. 2015 State of the UK Fitness Industry Report. London, England: LeisureDB; 2015.
9. Cafri G, Olivardia R, Thompson JK. Symptom characteristics and psychiatric comorbidity among males with muscle dysmorphia. Compr Psychiatry. 2008;49(4):374-379.
10. Olivardia R, Pope HG Jr, Hudson JI. Muscle dysmorphia in male weightlifters: a case-control study. Am J Psychiatry. 2000;157(8):1291-1296.