OBJECTIVES: The objective of this study was to investigate whether ingestion of fructose and fructans (such as inulin) can exacerbate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms. The aim was to better understand the origin of these symptoms by magnetic resonance imaging (M... View more
1. Francis CY, Whorwell PJ. Bran and irritable-bowel-syndrome - time for reappraisal. Lancet 1994;344:39-40.
2. Nanda R, James R, Smith H et al. Food intolerance and the irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 1989;30:1099-104.
3. Parker TJ, Naylor SJ, Riordan AM et al. Management of patients with food intolerance in irritable bowel syndrome - the development and use of an exclusion diet. J Hum Nutr Diet 1995;8:159-66.
4. Staudacher HM, Whelan K, Irving PM et al. Comparison of symptom response following advice for a diet low in fermentable carbohydrates (FODMAPs) versus standard dietary advice in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. J Hum Nutr Diet 2011;24:487-95.
5. Staudacher HM, Lomer MCE, Anderson JL et al. Fermentable carbohydrate restriction reduces luminal bifi dobacteria and gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. J Nutr 2012;142:1510-8.
6. Shepherd SJ, Parker FC, Muir JG et al. Dietary triggers of abdominal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: randomized placebo-controlled evidence. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;6:765-71.
7. Shepherd SJ, Nut M, Gibson PR. Fructose malabsorption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for ef ective dietary management. J Am Diet Assoc 2006;106:1631-9.
8. de Roest RH, Dobbs BR, Chapman BA et al. Th e low FODMAP diet improves gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: a prospective study. Int J Clin Pract 2013;67:895-905.
9. Shepherd SJ, Lomer MCE, Gibson PR. Short-chain carbohydrates and functional gastrointestinal disorders. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108:707-17.
10. Ong DK, Mitchell SB, Barrett JS et al. Manipulation of dietary short chain carbohydrates alters the pattern of gas production and genesis of symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;25:1366-73.