Publisher: MRC/Wits Rural Public Health and Health Transitions Research Unit (Agincourt), School of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa; INDEPTH Network, Accra, Ghana
Subject: Epidemiology | Research Article | Record linkage | Health and Demographic Surveillance System (HDSS) | Population surveillance | Public Health, Global Health, Social Medicine and Epidemiology | Health facilities | South Africa | Folkhälsovetenskap, global hälsa, socialmedicin och epidemiologi
Background: Health and Demographic Surveillance Systems (HDSS) have been instrumental in advancing population and health research in low-and middle-income countries where vital registration systems are often weak. However, the utility of HDSS would be enhanced if their ... View more
1. Sankoh O: Global health estimates: stronger collaboration needed with low-and middle-income countries. PLoS Med 2010, 7(11):e1001005.
2. Sankoh O, Byass P: The INDEPTH Network: filling vital gaps in global epidemiology. Int J Epidemiol 2012, 41(3):579-588.
3. Ye Y, Wamukoya M, Ezeh A, Emina J, Sankoh O: Health and demographic surveillance systems: a step towards full civil registration and vital statistics system in sub-Sahara Africa? BMC Public Health 2012, 12(1):741.
4. Jahn A, Floyd S, Crampin AC, Mwaungulu F, Mvula H, Munthali F, McGrath N, Mwafilaso J, Mwinuka V, Mangongo B, Fine PEM, Zaba B, Glynn JR: Population-level effect of HIV on adult mortality and early evidence of reversal after introduction of antiretroviral therapy in Malawi. Lancet 2008, 371(9624):1603-1611.
5. Herbst AJ, Mafojane T, Newell ML: Verbal autopsy-based cause-specific mortality trends in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, 2000-2009. Popul Health Metrics 2011, 9(1):47.
6. Bor J, Herbst AJ, Newell M-L, Bärnighausen T: Increases in adult life expectancy in rural South Africa: valuing the scale-up of HIV treatment. Science 2013, 339(6122):961-965.
7. Jutte DP, Roos LL, Brownell MD: Administrative record linkage as a tool for public health research. Annu Rev Public Health 2011, 32:91-108.
8. Holian J, Mallick MJ, Zaremba CM: Maternity and infant care, race and birth outcomes. J Health Soc Policy 2004, 18(4):1-11.
9. Holian J: Live birth and infant death record linkage. J Health Soc Policy 2000, 12(1):1-10.
10. Lyons R, Jones K, John G, Brooks C, Verplancke J-P, Ford D, Brown G, Leake K: The SAIL databank: linking multiple health and social care datasets. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2009, 9(1):3.