The pharmacokinetic properties of oral and intravenous artesunate (2 mg/kg of body weight) were studied in 19 adult patients with acute uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria by using a randomized crossover design. A sensitive bioassay was used to measure the antim... View more
1. Ashton, M., T. N. Hai, N. D. Sy, D. X. Huong, N. V. Huong, N. T. Nieu and L. D. Cong. 1998. Artemisinin pharmacokinetics is time-dependent during repeated oral administration in healthy male adults. Drug Metab. Dispos. 26:25-27.
2. Barradell, L. B., and A. Fitton. 1995. Artesunate: a review of its pharmacology and therapeutic efficacy in the treatment of malaria. Drugs 50:714-741.
3. Batty, K. T., L. T. A. Thu, K. F. Illett, T. X. Mai, N. C. Hung, N. P. Tien, S. M. Powell, H. V. Thien, T. Q. Binh, N. V. Kim, and T. M. E. Davis. 1998. A pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of artesunate in vivax malaria. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 59:823-827.
4. Batty, K. T., L. T. A. Thu, T. M. E. Davis, K. F. Illett, T. X. Mai, N. C. Hung, N. P. Tien, S. M. Powell, H. V. Thien, T. Q. Binh, and N. V. Kim. 1998. A pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of intravenous vs oral artesunate in uncomplicated falciparum malaria. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 45:123- 129.
5. Batty, K. T., K. F. Ilett, G. Edwards, S. M. Powell, J. L. Maggs, B. K. Park, and T. M. E. Davis. 1998. Assessment of the effect of malaria infection on hepatic microsomes of dihydroartemisinin using rat liver perfusions and microsomes. Br. J. Pharmacol. 125:159-167.
6. Bethell, D. B., P. Teja-Isavadharm, C. X. Phuong, P. T. Thuy, T. T. Mai, T. T. Thuy, N. T. Ha, P. T. Phuong, D. Kyle, N. P. J. Day, and N. J. White. 1997. Pharmacokinetics of oral artesunate in children with moderately severe Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Trans. R. Soc. Trop. Med. Hyg. 91:195-198.
7. Grace, J. M., D. J. Skanchy, and A. J. Aguilar. 1999. Metabolism of artelinic acid to dihydroqinghaosu by human liver cytochrome P450 3A. Xenobiotica 29:703-717.
8. Hien, T. T., and N. J. White. 1993. Qinghaosu. Lancet 341:603-608.
9. Khanh, N. X., P. J. de Vries, L. D. Ha, C. J. van Boxtel, R. Koopmans, and P. A. Kager. 1999. Declining concentrations of dihydroartemisinin in plasma during 5-day oral treatment with artesunate for falciparum malaria. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 43:690-692.
10. Maggs, J. L., S. Madden, L. P. Bishop, P. M. O'Neill, and B. K. Park. 1997. The rat biliary metabolites of dihydroartemisinin, an antimalarial endoperoxide. Drug Metab. Dispos. 25:1200-1204.