Subject: Urban Population | Hypersensitivity | Rural Population | Asthma, Exercise-Induced | Medicine | Exercise Test | Allergens | Ghana | Skin Tests | Prevalence | General & Internal Medicine | R | Cats | Health Surveys | Mites | 11 Medical And Health Sciences | Dogs | Adolescent | Animals | Humans | Child
Background: Asthma and allergic diseases have increased in the developed countries. It is important to determine whether the same trends are occurring in the developing countries in Africa. We aimed to determine the time trend in the prevalence of exercise-induced bronc... View more
1. Anim JT, Edoo BB (1972) Bronchial asthma at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital-A preliminary report. Ghana Med J 11: 59.
2. Commey JOO, Haddock DRW (1973) Skin sensitivity to house dust mite extracts in Ghanaian asthmatic in Accra. Trans Roy Soc Trop Hyg 67: 109- 111.
3. Rees PH, Gitoho F, Mitchell HS, Rees C (1974) Some aspects of the aetiology of asthma in Nairobi with special reference to parasites and the house dust mite. East Afr Med J 51: 729-733.
4. Warrell DA, Fawcett IW, Harrison BD, Agamah AJ, Ibu JO, et al. (1975) Bronchial asthma in the Nigerian savanna region. A clinical and laboratory study of 106 patients with a review of the literature on asthma in the tropics. Q J Med 44: 325-347.
5. Haddock RW (1977) The pattern of bronchial asthma in Benin in the equatorial forest zone of Nigeria. J Trop Med Hyg 80: 204-212.
6. Awodetu AA, Oyejide CO, Ogunlesi A, Onadeko BO (1992) Skin sensitivity patterns to inhalant allergens in Nigerian asthmatic patients. East Afr Med J 69: 631-635.
7. Burr ML, Eldridge BA, Borysiewicz LK (1974) Peak expiratory flow rates before and after exercise in schoolchildren. Arch Dis Child 49: 923-926.
8. Hahn A, Anderson SD, Morton AR, Black JL, Fitch KDA (1984) Reinterpretation of the effect of temperature and water content of the inspired air in exercise-induced asthma. Am Rev Respir Dis 130: 575-579.
9. Van Niekerk CH, Weinberg EG, Shore SC, Heese HV, Van Schalkwyk J (1979) Prevalence of asthma: A comparative study of urban and rural Xhosa children. Clin Allergy 9: 319-324.
10. Keeley D, Neill P, Gallivan S (1991) Comparison of the prevalence of reversible airway obstruction in rural and urban Zimbabwean children. Thorax 46: 549-553.