Subject: Somalia | Research Article | Vitamin D | Clinical observation | Pregnancy | Obstetrics and Gynaecology | 25(OH)D | Physical performance | Primary care | Grip strength | Ultraviolet B radiation
Background Severe vitamin D deficiency can impair muscle strength. The study aims were to examine physical performance in the hands and upper legs, and analyze plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) concentrations in women with presumably low (veiled, Somali-born) and hig... View more
1. Clemens TL, Adams JS, Henderson SL, Holick MF: Increased skin pigment reduces the capacity of skin to synthesise vitamin D3. Lancet 1982, 1(8263):74-76.
2. Cannell JJ, Hollis BW, Sorenson MB, Taft TN, Anderson JJ: Athletic performance and vitamin D. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2009, 41(5):1102-1110.
3. Webb AR, Kline L, Holick MF: Influence of season and latitude on the cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D3: exposure to winter sunradiaion in Boston and Edmonton will not promote vitamin D3 synthesis in human skin. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1988, 67(2):373-378.
4. Maxwell SM, Salah SM, Bunn JE: Dietary habits of the Somali population in Liverpool, with respect to foods containing calcium and vitamin D: a cause for concern? J Hum Nutr Diet 2006, 19(2):125-127.
5. Souberbielle JC: Vitamin D. 1st editionTorino: SEEd Medical Publishers srl. In collaboration with Diasorin S.p.A; 2011.
6. Speeckaert M, Huang G, Delanghe JR, Taes YE: Biological and clinical aspects of the vitamin D binding protein (Gc-globulin) and its polymorphism. Clin Chim Acta 2006, 372(1-2):33-42.
7. Houston DK, Cesari M, Ferrucci L, Cherubini A, Maggio D, Bartali B, Johnson MA, Schwartz GG, Kritchevsky SB: Association between vitamin D status and physical performance: the InCHIANTI study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2007, 62(4):440-446.
8. Mosekilde L: Vitamin D and the elderly. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf ) 2005, 62(3):265-281.
9. Glerup H, Mikkelsen K, Poulsen L, Hass E, Overbeck S, Andersen H, Charles P, Eriksen EF: Hypovitaminosis D myopathy without biochemical signs of osteomalacic bone involvement. Calcif Tissue Int 2000, 66(6):419-424.
10. Girgis CM, Clifton-Bligh RJ, Hamrick MW, Holick MF, Gunton JE: The roles of vitamin D in skeletal muscle: form, function, and metabolism. Endocr Rev 2013, 34(1):33-83.