Subject: Nutritional diseases. Deficiency diseases | Medicine (miscellaneous) | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | /dk/atira/pure/subjectarea/asjc/2900/2916 | RC620-627 | Nutrition and Dietetics | /dk/atira/pure/subjectarea/asjc/2700/2701 | HE | Research | RA
Abstract Background Building new transport infrastructure could help to promote changes in patterns of mobility, physical activity, and other determinants of population health such as economic development. However, local residents may not share planners' goals or assump... View more
1. Saelens B, Sallis J, Frank L: Environmental correlates of walking and cycling: findings from the transportation, urban design and planning literatures. Ann Behav Med 2003, 25:80-91.
2. Owen N, Humpel N, Leslie E, Bauman A, Sallis J: Understanding environmental influences on walking: review and research agenda. Am J Prev Med 2004, 27:67-76.
3. Handy S: Critical assessment of the literature on the relationships among transportation, land use, and physical activity Washington, DC: Transportation Research Board and Institute of Medicine Committee on Physical Activity, Health, Transportation, and Land Use; 2004.
4. Ogilvie D, Mitchell R, Mutrie N, Petticrew M, Platt S: Evaluating health effects of transport interventions: methodologic case study. Am J Prev Med 2006, 31:118-126.
5. Bauman A: The physical environment and physical activity: moving from ecological associations to intervention evidence. J Epidemiol Community Health 2005, 59:535-536.
Ogilvie et al. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2010, 7:43
6. Wendel-Vos W, Droomers M, Kremers S, Brug J, van Lenthe F: Potential environmental determinants of physical activity in adults. In Environmental determinants and interventions for physical activity, nutrition and smoking: a review Edited by: Brug J, van Lenthe F. Rotterdam: Erasmus University Medical Centre; 2005.
7. Department for Transport: Transport Statistics Bulletin: National Travel Survey 2005 London: National Statistics; 2006.
8. Oja P, Vuori I: Promotion of transport walking and cycling in Europe: strategy directions Tampere: UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research; 1999.
9. Brand C, Boardman B: Taming of the few: the unequal distribution of greenhouse gas emissions from personal travel in the UK. Energy Policy 2008, 36:224-238.