Background Anthocyanins are polyphenolic pigments which provide pink to blue colours in fruits and flowers. There is an increasing demand for anthocyanins, as food colorants and as health-promoting substances. Plant production of anthocyanins is often seasonal and canno... View more
1. Martins N, Roriz CL, Morales P, Barros L, Ferreira IC. Food colorants: challenges, opportunities and current desires of agro‑industries to ensure consumer expectations and regulatory practices. Trends Food Sci Technol. 2016;52:1-15.
2. Martin C, Butelli E, Petroni K, Tonelli C. How can research on plants contribute to promoting human health? Plant Cell. 2011;23:1685-99.
3. He J, Giusti MM. Anthocyanins: natural colorants with health‑promoting properties. Ann Rev Food Sci Technol. 2010;1:163-87.
4. Cortez R, Luna‑ Vital DA, Margulis D, de Mejia EG. Natural pigments: stabilization methods of anthocyanins for food applications. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2017;16:180-98.
5. Carocho M, Morales P, Ferreira IC. Natural food additives: Quo vadis? Trends Food Sci Technol. 2015;45:284-95.
6. Petroni K, Tonelli C. Recent advances on the regulation of anthocyanin synthesis in reproductive organs. Plant Sci. 2011;181:219-29.
7. Koopman F, Beekwilder J, Crimi B, van Houwelingen A, Hall RD, Bosch D, van Maris AJ, Pronk JT, Daran J‑M. De novo production of the flavonoid naringenin in engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microb Cell Fact. 2012;11:155.
8. Lyu X, Ng KR, Lee JL, Mark R, Chen WN. Enhancement of naringenin biosynthesis from tyrosine by metabolic engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:6638-46.
9. Martens S, Preuß A, Matern U. Multifunctional flavonoid dioxygenases: lfavonol and anthocyanin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana L. Phyto ‑ chemistry. 2010;71:1040-9.
10. Wellmann F, Griesser M, Schwab W, Martens S, Eisenreich W, Matern U, Lukačin R. Anthocyanidin synthase from Gerbera hybrida catalyzes the conversion of (+)‑ catechin to cyanidin and a novel procyanidin. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:1642-8.