Background Under compromised biliary regeneration, transdifferentiation of hepatocytes into biliary epithelial cells (BEC) has been previously observed in rats, upon exposure to BEC-specific toxicant methylene dianiline (DAPM) followed by bile duct ligation (BDL), and i... View more
1. Michalopoulos GK, Bowen WC, Mule K, Stolz DB: Histological organization in hepatocyte organoid cultures. Am J Pathol 2001, 159:1877-1887.
2. Michalopoulos GK, Bowen WC, Mulè K, Lopez-Talavera JC, Mars W: Hepatocytes undergo phenotypic transformation to biliary epithelium in organoid cultures. Hepatology 2002, 36:278-283.
3. Michalopoulos GK, Barua L, Bowen WC: Transdifferentiation of rat hepatocytes into biliary cells after bile duct ligation and toxic biliary injury. Hepatology 2005, 41:535-544.
4. Limaye PB, Bowen WC, Orr AV, Luo J, Tseng GC, Michalopoulos GK: Mechanisms of hepatocyte growth factor-mediated and epidermal growth factor-mediated signaling in transdifferentiation of rat hepatocytes to biliary epithelium. Hepatology 2008, 47:1702-1713.
5. Nishikawa Y, Doi Y, Watanabe H, Tokairin T, Omori Y, Su M, Yoshioka T, Enomoto K: Transdifferentiation of mature rat hepatocytes into bile ductlike cells in vitro. Am J Pathol 2005, 166:1077-1088.
6. Watanabe H, Hata M, Terada N, Ueda H, Yamada N, Yamanegi K, Ohyama H, Kakihana M, Okamura H, Nakasho K: Transdifferentiation into biliary ductular cells of hepatocytes transplanted into the spleen. Pathology 2008, 40:272-276.
7. Desmet V, Roskams T, Van Eyken P: Ductular reaction in the liver. Pathol Res Pract 1995, 191:513-524.
8. Chen YK, Zhao XX, Li JG, Lang S, Wang YM: Ductular proliferation in liver tissues with severe chronic hepatitis B: an immunohistochemical study. World J Gastroenterology 2006, 12:1443-1446.
9. Limaye PB, Alarcón G, Walls AL, Nalesnik MA, Michalopoulos GK, Demetris AJ, Ochoa ER: Expression of specific hepatocyte and cholangiocyte transcription factors in human liver disease and embryonic development. Lab Invest 2008, 88:865-872.
10. Kanz MF, Gunasena GH, Kaphalia L, Hammond DK, Syed YA: A minimally toxic dose of methylene dianiline injures biliary epithelial cells in rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1998, 150:414-426.