Subject: Lake Kyoga Basin | Prevalence | Cysticercosis | Research Article | veterinary(all) | Neurocysticercosis | Zoonoses | East Africa | Helminths | Taenia solium | Public health
mesheuropmc: parasitic diseases
Background Taenia solium is a zoonotic helminth with the potential to cause life threatening epilepsy in people through the aberrant larval infection of the brain called Neurocysticercosis (NCC). The pig is the intermediate host for T. solium where the larval form, cyst... View more
1. Ampaire A, Rothschild MF: Pigs, Goats and Chickens for Rural Development: Small Holder farmer's Experience in Uganda. In Livestock Research for Rural Development. vol. 22; 2010.
2. MAAIF report of the pilot census of agriculture (PCA) 2003: Uganda Bureau of Statistics; 2004.
3. The national livestock census report 20008: MAAIF/UBOS, Uganda; 2009.
4. Stewart TB, Hale OM: Losses to Internal Parasites in Swine Production. J Anim Sci 1988, 66(6):1548-1554.
5. Nansen P, Roepstorff A: Parasitic helminths of the pig: factors influencing transmission and infection levels. Int J Parasitol 1999, 29(6):877-891.
6. Bengis RG, Kock RA, Fischer J: Infectious animal diseases: the wildlife/ livestock interface. Rev Sci Tech Off Int Epizoot 2002, 21(1):53-66.
7. Schuppers ME, Frey CF, Gottstein B, Stärk KDC, Kihm U, Regula G: Comparing the demonstration of freedom from Trichinella infection of domestic pigs by traditional and risk-based surveillance. Epidemiol Infect 2010, 138(09):1242-1251.
8. van der Giessen J, Fonville M, Bouwknegt M, Langelaar M, Vollema A: Seroprevalence of Trichinella spiralis and Toxoplasma gondii in pigs from different housing systems in The Netherlands. Vet Parasitol 2007, 148(3-4):371-374.
9. Pondja A, Neves L, Mlangwa J, Afonso S, Fafetine J, Willingham AL, Thamsborg SM, Johansen MV: Prevalence and risk factors of porcine cysticercosis in Angonia District, Mozambique. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2010, 4(2):e594.
10. Sikasunge CS, Phiri IK, Phiri AM, Dorny P, Siziya S, Willingham IAL: Risk factors associated with porcine cysticercosis in selected districts of Eastern and Southern provinces of Zambia. Vet Parasitol 2007, 143(1):59-66.