Subject: R | RA1-1270 | community mental health | Public aspects of medicine | mental health | primary care | Original Research | Medicine | psychiatry
BACKGROUND: Mental illness has been increasingly recognised as a source of morbidity in low- and middle-income countries and significant treatment gaps exist worldwide. Studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of task sharing through community-based treatment models ... View more
1. Accordino MP, Porter DF, Morse T. Deinstitutionalization of persons with severe mental illness: Context and consequences. J Rehabil. 2001;67(2):16.
2. Alem A, Jacobsson L, Hanlon C. Community-based mental health care in Africa: Mental health workers' views. World Psychiatry. 2008;7(1):54-57. htps://doi. org/10.1002/j.2051-5545.2008.tb00153.x
3. Asher L, De Silva M, Hanlon C, et al. Community-based rehabilitation intervention for people with schizophrenia in Ethiopia (RISE): Study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2016;17(1):299. htps://doi.org/10.1186/ s13063-016-1427-9
4. Padmanathan P, De Silva MJ. The acceptability and feasibility of task-sharing for mental healthcare in low and middle income countries: A systematic review. Soc Sci Med. 2013;97:82-86. htps://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.08.004
5. Kohn R, Saxena S, Levav I, Saraceno B. The treatment gap in mental health care. Bull World Health Organ. 2004;82(11):858-866.
6. Araya R, Rojas G, Fritsch R, et al. Treating depression in primary care in low-income women in Santiago, Chile: A randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;361(9362):995-1000. htps://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)12825-5
7. Patel V, Chowdhary N, Rahman A, Verdeli H. Improving access to psychological treatments: Lessons from developing countries. Behav Res Ther. 2011;49(9):523- 528. htps://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2011.06.012
8. Kigozi F. Integrating mental health into primary health care-Uganda's experience. Afr J Psychiatry. 2007;10(1):17-19. htps://doi.org/10.4314/ajpsy.v10i1.30228
9. Acri M, Hooley CD, Richardson N, Moaba LB. Peer models in mental health for caregivers and families. Community Mental Health J. 2016;53(2):241-249.
10. Zemishlany Z. Integrating mental health into primary care. Israel Med Assoc J. 2016;18(2):124-125.