During the last two decades human infections with Plasmodium knowlesi are increasingly diagnosed in South East Asia and have also been reported in travellers. A severe case of imported P. knowlesi infection in a 73-year old German is presented, who had been travelling t... View more
1. Singh B, Kim Sung L, Matusop A, Radhakrishnan A, Shamsul SS, Cox-Singh J, Thomas A, Conway DJ: A large focus of naturally acquired Plasmodium knowlesi infections in human beings. Lancet 2004, 363:1017-1024.
2. Imwong M, Tanomsing N, Pukrittayakamee S, Day NP, White NJ, Snounou G: Spurious amplification of a Plasmodium vivax small-subunit RNA gene by use of primers currently used to detect P. knowlesi. J Clin Microbiol 2009, 47:4173-4175.
3. Knowles RM, Das Gupta B: A study of monkey-malaria and its experimental transmission to man. Ind Med Gaz 1932, 67:301-320.
4. Chin W, Contacos PG, Coatney GR: A naturally acuited quotidian type malaria in man transferable to monkeys. Science 1965, 149:865.
5. Cox-Singh J, Davis TM, Lee KS, Shamsul SS, Matusop A, Ratnam S, Conway DJ, Singh B: Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in humans is widely distributed and potentially life threatening. Clin Infect Dis 2008, 46:165-171.
6. Azira NM, Zairi NZ, Amry AR, Zeehaida M: Case series of naturally acquired Plasmodium knowlesi infection in a tertiary teaching hospital. Trop Biomed 2012, 29:398-404.
7. Sulistyaningsih E, Fitri LE, Löscher T, Berens-Riha N: Diagnostic difficulties with Plasmodium knowlesi infection in humans. Emerg Infect Dis 2010, 16:1033-1034.
8. Barber BE, William T, Grigg MJ, Menon J, Auburn S, Marfurt J, Anstey NM, Yeo TW: A prospective comparative study of knowlesi, falciparum, and vivax malaria in Sabah, Malaysia: high proportion with severe disease from Plasmodium knowlesi and Plasmodium vivax, but no mortality with early referral and artesunate therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2013, 56:383-397.
9. Lau YL, Tan LH, Chin LC, Fong MY, Noraishah MA, Rohela M: Plasmodium knowlesi reinfection in human. Emerg Infect Dis 2011, 17:1314-1315.
10. Sermwittayawong N, Singh B, Nishibuchi M, Sawangjaroen N, Vuddhakul V: Human Plasmodium knowlesi infection in Ranong province, southwestern border of Thailand. Malar J 2012, 11:36.