Subject: sleep deprivation | sleep education programs | grade point average | Review | adolescence | GPA | Nature and Science of Sleep | Psychiatry | academic performance | RC435-571
Shelley D Hershner, Ronald D ChervinDepartment of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USAAbstract: Daytime sleepiness, sleep deprivation, and irregular sleep schedules are highly prevalent among college students, as 50% report daytime sleepiness and 70% at... View more
1. Oginska H, Pokorski J. Fatigue and mood correlates of sleep length in three age-social goups: school children, students, and employees. Chronobiol Int. 2006;23(6):1317-1328.
2. American College Health Association. American College Health Association: National College Health Assessment II Reference Group Executive Summary Spring 2012. Hanover, MD: American College Health Association; 2012. Available from: http://www.acha-ncha. org/docs/ACHA-NCHA-II_ReferenceGroup_ExecutiveSummary_ Spring2012.pdf. Accessed February 20, 2014.
3. American Academcy of Sleep Medicine. International Classification of Sleep Disorders, 2nd ed: Diagnostic and Coding Manual. Westchester, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2005.
4. Kryger MH, Roth T, Dement WC, editors. Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. St Louis, MO: Elsevier BV; 2005.
5. Wehr TA, Moul DE, Barbato G, et al. Conservation of photoperiodresponsive mechanisms in humans. Am J Physiol. 1993;265(4 Pt 2): R846-R857.
6. Van Dongen HP, Maislin G, Mullington JM, Dinges DF. The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose-response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep. 2003;26(2):117-126.
7. Lund HG, Reider BD, Whiting AB, Prichard JR. Sleep patterns and predictors of disturbed sleep in a large population of college students. J Adolesc Health. 2010;46(2):124-132.
8. Bachman L, Bachman C. Student perceptions of academic workload in architectural education. J Archit Plan Res. 2006;23(4):271-304.
9. Hershner S. College students' sleep habits and GPA. Sleep. 2011;34(Abstract Supplement):A102.
10. American College Health Association. American College Health Association: National College Health Assessment II Reference Group Executive Summary Fall 2011. Hanover, MD: American College Health Association; 2011. Available from: http://www.acha-ncha.org/docs/ ACHA-NCHA-II_ReferenceGroup_ExecutiveSummary_Fall2011.pdf. Accessed February 20, 2014.