Subject: nutrition education | Diseases of the genitourinary system. Urology | Nutrition | chronic kidney disease | RC870-923 | education strategies | Review | adherence | hemodialysis | technology-enhanced learning | talking control | International Journal of Nephrology and Renovascular Disease
Judith A Beto, Katherine A Schury, Vinod K Bansal Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Loyola University Healthcare System, Loyola University of Chicago, Maywood, IL, USA Abstract: Chronic kidney disease (CKD) requires extensive changes to food and lifestyle. Poor ... View more
1. Webb D, Byrd-Bredbenner C. Overcoming consumer inertia to dietary guidance. Adv Nutr. 2015;6(4):391-396.
2. Jensen MD, Ryan DH, Apovian CM, et al. AHA/ADD/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society. Circulation. 2013;129(25 Suppl 2):S102-S138.
3. Kahneman D. Thinking, Fast and Slow. London, UK: Penguin Books, 2011.
4. Karamanidou C, Clatworthy J, Weinman J, Horne R. A systematic review of the prevalence and determinants of nonadherence to phosphate binding medication in patients with end-stage renal disease. BMC Nephrol. 2008;9:2.
5. Hsu KL, Fink JC, Ginsberg JS, et al. Self-reported medication adherence and adverse patient safety events in CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2015;66(4):621-629.
6. Ibrahim S, Hossam M, Belal D. Study of non-compliance among chronic hemodialysis patients and its impact on patients' outcomes. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2015;26(2):243-249.
7. Beto JA, Ramirez WE, Bansal VK. Medical nutrition therapy in adults with chronic kidney disease: integrating evidence and consensus into practice for the generalist registered dietitian nutritionist. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014;114(7):1077-1087.
8. National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI clinical practice guidelines for nutrition in chronic renal failure. Am J Kidney Dis. 2001;37(1 Suppl 2): S66-S70.
9. National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI clinical practice guideline for nutrition in children with CKD: 2008 update. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009;53(Suppl 2): S1-S124.
10. National Kidney Foundation Council on Renal Nutrition. Pocket Guide to Nutrition Assessment of the Patient with Kidney Disease. 5th ed. McCann L, editor. New York: National Kidney Foundation, 2015.