The increasing global threat of Dengue demands new and easily applicable vector control methods. Ovitraps provide a low-tech and inexpensive means to combat Dengue vectors. Here we describe the development and optimization process of a novel contamination device that ta... View more
1. Dengue and severe dengue, fact sheet N°117. http://www.who.int/ mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/index.html.
2. Bhatt S, Gething PW, Brady OJ, Messina JP, Farlow AW, Moyes CL, Drake JM, Brownstein JS, Hoen AG, Sankoh O, Myers MF, George DB, Jaenisch T, Wint WGR, Simmons CP, Scott TW, Farrar JJ, Hay SI: The global distribution and burden of dengue. Nature 2013, 496:504-507.
3. Harrington J, Kroeger A, Runge-Ranzinger S, O'Dempsey T: Detecting and responding to a dengue outbreak: evaluation of existing strategies in country outbreak response planning. J Trop Med 2013, 2013:756832.
4. Reiter P: Oviposition, dispersal, and survival in aedes aegypti: implications for the efficacy of control strategies. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2007, 7:261-273.
5. Maciel-de-Freitas R, Lourenco-de-Oliveira R: Does targeting key-containers effectively reduce aedes aegypti population density? Tropical Medicine Int Health: TM & IH 2011, 16:965-973.
6. Fay RW, Elison DA: A preferred oviposition site as a surveillance method for aedes aegypti. Mosq news 1966, 26:531-535.
7. Facchinelli L, Valerio L, Pombi M, Reiter P, Costantini C, Della Torre A: Development of a novel sticky trap for container-breeding mosquitoes and evaluation of its sampling properties to monitor urban populations of aedes albopictus. Med Vet Entomol 2007, 21:183-195.
8. Chadee DD, Ritchie SA: Efficacy of sticky and standard ovitraps for aedes aegypti in Trinidad, West Indies. J Vector Ecol: journal of the Society for Vector Ecology 2010, 35:395-400.
9. Santana AL, Roque RA, Eiras AE: Characteristics of grass infusions as oviposition attractants to aedes (Stegomyia) (Diptera: Culicidae). J Med Entomol 2006, 43:214-220.
10. Ritchie SA: Effect of some animal feeds and oviposition substrates on aedes oviposition in ovitraps in Cairns, Australia. J Am Mosq Control Assoc 2001, 17:206-208.