mesheuropmc: hormones, hormone substitutes, and hormone antagonists
CONTEXT: Since the discovery of its central role in reproduction, our functional neuroanatomical knowledge of the hypothalamic kisspeptin system is predominantly based on animal studies. Although sex differences in kisspeptin expression have been shown in humans in adul... View more
1. Bao AM, Swaab DF. Sexual differentiation of the human brain: relation to gender identity, sexual orientation and neuropsychiatric disorders. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2011;32:214 -226.
2. Simerly RB. Wired for reproduction: organization and development of sexually dimorphic circuits in the mammalian forebrain. Annu Rev Neurosci. 2002;25:507-36.
3. Swaab DF, Fliers E. A sexually dimorphic nucleus in the human brain. Science. 1985;228:1112-1115.
4. Allen LS, Hines M, Shryne JE, Gorski RA. Two sexually dimorphic cell groups in the human brain. J Neurosci. 1989;9:497-506.
5. Zhou JN, Hofman MA, Gooren LJ, Swaab DF. A sex difference in the human brain and its relation to transsexuality. Nature. 1995; 378:68 -70.
6. Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF. A sex difference in the hypothalamic uncinate nucleus: relationship to gender identity. Brain. 2008;131: 3132-3146.
7. Goldstein JM, Seidman LJ, Horton NJ, Makris N, Kennedy DN, Caviness VS, Jr., Faraone SV, Tsuang MT. Normal sexual dimorphism of the adult human brain assessed by in vivo magnetic resonance imaging. Cereb Cortex. 2001;11:490 - 497.
8. Lombardo MV, Ashwin E, Auyeung B, Chakrabarti B, Taylor K, Hackett G, Bullmore ET, Baron-Cohen S. Fetal testosterone influences sexually dimorphic gray matter in the human brain. J Neurosci. 2012;32:674 - 680.
9. Ishunina TA, Salehi A, Hofman MA, Swaab DF. Activity of vasopressinergic neurones of the human supraoptic nucleus is age- and sex-dependent. J Neuroendocrinol. 1999;11:251- 8.
10. Savic I, Berglund H, Gulyas B, Roland P. Smelling of odorous sex hormone-like compounds causes sex-differentiated hypothalamic activations in humans. Neuron. 2001;31:661- 8.