Subject: Debate | Clinical excellence | Nephrology | Renal medicine
mesheuropmc: humanities | education
Background Provision of exceptional medical care is a goal for the medical profession because this is what the public needs and deserves. Academic medical centers that value excellent clinicians may have the best chance to recruit and retain these faculty members. When ... View more
1. Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. http://www.acgme.org/ outcome/ Accessed February 24, 2015.
2. Christmas C, Kravet SJ, Durso SC, Wright SM. Clinical excellence in academia: perspectives from masterful academic clinicians. Mayo Clin Proc. 2008;83(9):989-94.
3. Kovac JA, Patel SS, Peterson RA, Kimmel PL. Patient satisfaction with care and behavioral compliance in end-stage renal disease patients treated with hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;39(6):1236-44.
4. DiMatteo MR, Hays R. The significance of patients' perceptions of physician conduct: a study of patient satisfaction in a family practice center. J Community Health. 1980;6(1):18-34.
5. Fried O. Palliative care for patients with end-stage renal failure: reflections from Central Australia. Palliat Med. 2003;17(6):514-9.
6. Finkelstein FO, Story K, Firanek C, Barre P, Takano T, Soroka S, et al. Perceived knowledge among patients cared for by nephrologists about chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease therapies. Kidney Int. 2008;74(9):1178-84.
7. Davison SN. End-of-life care preferences and needs: perceptions of patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5(2):195-204.
8. Holley JL, Carmody SS, Moss AH, Sullivan AM, Cohen LM, Block SD, et al. The need for end-of-life care training in nephrology: national survey results of nephrology fellows. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;42(4):813-20.
9. Combs SA, Culp S, Matlock DD, Kutner JS, Holley JL, Moss AH. Update on End-of-Life Care Training During Nephrology Fellowship: A Cross-sectional National Survey of Fellows. Am J Kidney Dis. 2015;65(2):233-9.
10. Schell JO, Green JA, Tulsky JA, Arnold RM. Communication skills training for dialysis decision-making and end-of-life care in nephrology. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8(4):675-80.