Subject: Alaska Natives, traditional diet, physical activity | Article
Objectives. To determine the prevalence of traditional food and physical activity use and associations with cultural factors among 3,830 Alaska Native and American Indian (AN/AI) people enrolled in the Education and Research Towards Health (EARTH) Study in 3 regions of ... View more
1. Bersamin A, Zidenberg-Cherr S, Stern JS, Luick BR. Nutrient intakes are associated with adherence to a traditional diet among Yup'ik Eskimos living in remote Alaska Native communities: the CANHR Study. Int J Circumpolar Health 2007;66:62-70.
2. k uhnlein HV, Receveur O, Chan HM. Traditional food systems research with Canadian Indigenous peoples. Int J Circumpolar Health 2001;60:112-122.
3. k uhnlein HV, Receveur O. Dietary change and traditional food systems of Indigenous peoples. Annu Rev Nutr 1996;16:417-442.
4. Final Report on the Alaska Traditional Diet Survey. Anchorage, Ak : Alaska Native Epidemiology Center, Alaska Native Health Board; 2004. 162 pp.
5. Snodgrass JJ, Leonard WR, Tarskaia LA, Schoeller DA. Total energy expenditure in the Yakut (Sakha) of Siberia as measured by the doubly labeled water method. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:798-806.
6. Nobmann ED, Ponce R, Mattil C, Devereux R, Dyke B, Ebbesson SO, et al. Dietary intakes vary with age among Eskimo adults of Northwest Alaska in the GOCADAN study, 2000-2003. J Nutr 2005;135:856- 862.
7. k uhnlein HV, Receveur O, Soueida R, Egeland GM. Arctic Indigenous peoples experience the nutrition transition with changing dietary patterns and obesity. J Nutr 2004;134:1447-1453.
8. Young Tk , k atzmarzyk PT. Physical activity of Aboriginal people in Canada. Can J Public Health 2007;98 Suppl 2:S148-S160.
9. Murphy NJ, Schraer CD, Bulkow LR, Boyko EJ, Lanier AP. Diabetes mellitus in Alaskan Yup'ik Eskimos and Athabascan Indians after 25 yr. Diabetes Care 1992;15:1390-1392.
10. Murphy NJ, Schraer CD, Theile MC, Boyko EJ, Bulkow LR, Doty BJ, et al. Hypertension in Alaska Natives: association with overweight, glucose intolerance, diet and mechanized activity. Ethn Health 1997;2:267-275.