Subject: Special aspects of education | courses | pharmacy education | blended-learning; online; courses; peer-review; pharmacy education | peer review | R5-920 | Medicine (General) | blended learning | online courses | online | Short Communication | LC8-6691
Background: Distance-based continuing education opportunities are increasingly embraced by health professionals worldwide.
Methods: To evaluate the online component of a blended-learning degree program for pharmacists, we conducted a structured self-assessment and p... View more
1. Davis D, O'Brien MA, Freemantle N, Wolf FM, Mazmanian P, Taylor-Vaisey A. Impact of formal continuing medical education: do conferences, workshops, rounds, and other traditional continuing education activities change physician behavior or health care outcomes? JAMA 1999; 282: 867 74.
2. Salinas GD. CME Effectiveness: utilizing outcomes assessments of 600 CME programs to evaluate the association between format and effectiveness. J Contin Educ Health Prof 2015; 35: S38 9.
3. Benson EP. Online learning: a means to enhance professional development. Crit Care Nurse 2004; 24: 60 3.
4. Carroll C, Booth A, Papaioannou D, Sutton A, Wong R. UK health-care professionals' experience of on-line learning techniques: a systematic review of qualitative data. J Contin Educ Health Prof 2009; 29: 235 41.
5. Cook DA, Levinson AJ, Garside S, Dupras DM, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Internet-based learning in the health professions: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2008; 300: 1181 96.
6. Frehywot S, Vovides Y, Talib Z, Mikhail N, Ross H, Wohltjen H, et al. E-learning in medical education in resource constrained low- and middle-income countries. Hum Resour Health 2013; 11: 4.
7. Vovides Y, Chale SB, Gadhula R, Kebaetse MB, Nigussie NA, Suleman F, et al. A systems approach to implementation of eLearning in medical education: five MEPI schools' journeys. Acad Med 2014; 89(Suppl 8): S102 6.
8. Moore M. Theory of transactional distance. In: Keegan D, ed. Theoretical Principles of Distance Education. New York: Routledge; 1997, pp. 22 38.
9. Stein D, Wanstreet C, Cavlin J, Overtoom C, Wheaton J. Bridging the transactional distance gap in online learning environments. Am J Distance Educ 2005; 19: 105 18.
10. Salter SM, Karia A, Sanfilippo FM, Clifford RM. Effectiveness of E-learning in pharmacy education. Am J Pharm Educ 2014; 78: 83.