Subject: evaluation studies | dispatch | Brazil | point-of-care diagnostic tests | Syphilis | Medicine | Amazon | R | RC109-216 | Infectious and parasitic diseases | high-risk populations | prevention and control
mesheuropmc: parasitic diseases
: We assessed the acceptability and operational suitability of a rapid point-of-care syphilis test and identified barriers to testing among high-risk groups and healthcare professionals in a sexually transmitted infections clinic in Manaus, Brazil. Use of this test coul... View more
1. Peeling RW. Testing for sexually transmitted infections: a brave new world? Sex Transm Infect. 2006;82:425-30. DOI: 10.1136/ sti.2005.017251
2. Fitzgerald DW, Behets FM, Lucet C, Roberfroid D. Prevalence, burden, and control of syphilis in Haiti's rural Artibonite region. Int J Infect Dis. 1998;2:127-31. DOI: 10.1016/S1201-9712(98)90113-8
3. Hawkes S, Miller S, Reichenbach L, Nayyar A, Buse K. Antenatal syphilis control: people, programme, policy, and politics. Bull World Health Organ. 2004;82:417-23.
4. Oliff M, Mayaud P, Brugha R, Semakafu AM. Integrating reproductive health services in a reforming health sector: the case of Tanzania. Reprod Health Matters. 2003;11:37-48.
5. Watson-Jones D, Oliff M, Terris-Prestholt F, Changalucha J, Gumodoka B, Mayaud P, et al. Antenatal syphilis screening in sub-Saharan Africa: lessons learned from Tanzania. Trop Med Int Health. 2005;10:934-43. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2005.01473.x
6. Benzaken AS, Sabidó M, Galban EG, Pedroza V, Vasquez F, Araújo A, et al. Field evaluation of the performance and testing costs of a rapid point-of-care test for syphilis in a red-light district of Manaus, Brazil. Sex Transm Infect. 2008;84:297-302. DOI: 10.1136/ sti.2007.029462
7. Mabey D, Peeling RW, Ballard R, Benzaken AS, Galban E, Changalucha J, et al. Prospective, multi-centre clinic-based evaluation of four rapid diagnostic tests for syphilis. Sex Transm Infect. 2006;82(Suppl 5):v13-6. DOI: 10.1136/sti.2006.022467
8. World Health Organization. Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases. Laboratory-based evaluation of rapid syphilis diagnostics. Sexually Transmitted Diseases Diagnostics Initiative report: diagnostics evaluation series no. 1; 2003 [cited 2009 Feb 18]. Available from http://www.who.int/std_diagnostics Address for correspondence: Meritxell Sabidó, París 179-181 1-1B,