We report on the synthesis of 4-hydroxycoumarin dimers 1-15 bearing an aryl substituent on the central linker and fused benzopyranocoumarin derivatives 16-20 and on their in vitro broad anti-DNA and RNA virus activity evaluations. The chemical identities and structure o... View more
1. Weinmann, I. History of the development and applications of coumarin and coumarin-related compounds. In Coumarins: Biology, Applications and Mode of Action; O'Kennedy, R., Thornes, R.D., Eds.; John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Los Angeles, CA, USA, 1997; pp. 1-22.
2. Marcu, M.G.; Schulte, W.T.; Neckers, L. Novobiocin and related coumarins and depletion of heat shock protein 90-dependent signaling proteins. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2000, 92, 242-248.
3. Borges, F.; Roleira, F.; Milhazes, N.; Santana, L.; Uriarte, E. Simple coumarins and analogues in medicinal chemistry: Occurrence, synthesis and biological activity. Curr. Med. Chem. 2005, 12, 887-916.
4. Chiang, C.C.; Hsu, L.Y.; Tsai, H.J.; Yao, C.W.; Chang, T.C. Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of coumarin derivatives. J. Chiong Chang Inst. Techol. 2008, 37, 15-22.
5. Ćavar, S.; Kovač, F.; Maksimović, M. Synthesis and antioxidant activity of selected 4-methylcoumarins. Food Chem. 2009, 117, 135-142.
6. Jung, J.C.; Park, O.S. Synthetic approaches and biological activities of 4-hydroxycoumarin derivatives. Molecules 2009, 14, 4790-4803.
7. Symeonidis, T.; Chamilos, M.; Hadjipavlou-Litina, D.J.; Kallitsakis, M.; Litinas, K.E. Synthesis of hydroxycoumarins and hydroxybenzo[f]- or [h]coumarins as lipid peroxidation inhibitors. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2009, 19, 1139-1142.
8. Kostova, I. Studying plant-derived coumarins for their pharmacological and therapeutic properties as potential anticancer drugs. Expert Opin. Drug Disc. 2007, 2, 1605-1618.
9. Nolan, A.K.; Doncaster, R.J.; Dunstan, S.M.; Scot, A.K.; Frenkel, D.; Siegel, D.; Ross, D.; Barnes, J.; Levy, C.; Leys, D.; et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of coumarin-based inhibitors of NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase-1 (NQO1). J. Med. Chem. 2009, 57, 7142-7156.
10. Mahajan, D.H.; Pannecouque, C.; De Clercq, E.; Chikhalia, K.H. Synthesis and studies of new 2-(coumarin-4-yloxy)-4,6-(substituted)-s-triazine derivatives as potential anti-HIV agents. Arch. Pharm. 2009, 342, 281-290.