Background: Elevated fasting levels of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs: valine, isoleucine, leucine) in venous blood are associated with a variety of metabolic impairments, including increased risk of type 2 diabetes (T2D). Fasting BCAA levels are influenced by non-di... View more
1. Felig P, Marliss E, Cahill GF, Jr. Plasma amino acid levels and insulin secretion in obesity. N Engl J Med 1969; 281(15): 811 16.
2. Huffman KM, Shah SH, Stevens RD, Bain JR, Muehlbauer M, Slentz CA, et al. Relationships between circulating metabolic intermediates and insulin action in overweight to obese, inactive men and women. Diabetes Care 2009; 32(9): 1678 83.
3. Newgard CB, An J, Bain JR, Muehlbauer MJ, Stevens RD, Lien LF, et al. A branched-chain amino acid-related metabolic signature that differentiates obese and lean humans and contributes to insulin resistance. Cell Metab 2009; 9(4): 311 26.
4. Stancakova A, Civelek M, Saleem NK, Soininen P, Kangas AJ, Cederberg H, et al. Hyperglycemia and a common variant of GCKR are associated with the levels of eight amino acids in 9,369 Finnish men. Diabetes 2012; 61(7): 1895 902.
5. Tai ES, Tan ML, Stevens RD, Low YL, Muehlbauer MJ, Goh DL, et al. Insulin resistance is associated with a metabolic profile of altered protein metabolism in Chinese and AsianIndian men. Diabetologia 2010; 53(4): 757 67.
6. Wang TJ, Larson MG, Vasan RS, Cheng S, Rhee EJ, McCabe E, et al. Metabolite profiles and the risk of developing diabetes. Nat Med 2011; 17(4): 448 53.
7. Laferrere B, Reilly D, Arias S, Swerdlow N, Gorroochurn P, Bawa B, et al. Differential metabolic impact of gastric bypass surgery versus dietary intervention in obese diabetic subjects despite identical weight loss. Sci Transl Med 2011; 3(80): 80re2.
8. Zhang Y, Guo K, LeBlanc RE, Loh D, Schwartz GJ, Yu YH. Increasing dietary leucine intake reduces diet-induced obesity and improves glucose and cholesterol metabolism in mice via multimechanisms. Diabetes 2007; 56: 1647 54.
9. Krebs M, Krssak M, Bernroider E, Anderwald C, Brehm A, Meyerspeer M, et al. Mechanism of amino acid-induced skeletal muscle insulin resistance in humans. Diabetes 2002; 51(3): 599 605.
10. Rhee EP, Ho JE, Chen MH, Shen D, Cheng S, Larson MG, et al. A genome-wide association study of the human metabolome in a community-based cohort. Cell Metab 2013; 18(1): 130 43.