Subject: Medicine (miscellaneous) | [SDV.SPEE] Life Sciences [q-bio]/Santé publique et épidémiologie | Diseases of the respiratory system | body mass index | [ SDV.SPEE ] Life Sciences [q-bio]/Santé publique et épidémiologie | Research | Neoplasms. Tumors. Oncology. Including cancer and carcinogens | metabolic syndrome | [SDV.SPEE]Life Sciences [q-bio]/Santé publique et épidémiologie | smoking | ethnic groups | Health(social science) | RC254-282 | RC705-779 | Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
Current smoking is associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance but its
association with the metabolic syndrome (metS), particularly with sufficiently sampled African American
representation, has not been clearly establishe... View more
1. WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic: Warning about the dangers of tobacco. 2012. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2011/ WHO_NMH_TFI_11.3_eng.pdf. Accessed on Jan 19, 2012.
2. Center for Disease Control: Smoking & Tobacco Use - Tobacco related mortality. 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/ health_effects/tobacco_related_mortality/Accessed on Jan 19, 2012.
3. Ezzati M, Lopez AD: Estimates of global mortality attributable to smoking in 2000. Lancet 2003, 362(9387):847-852.
4. Critchley J, Capewell S: Smoking cessation for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004, 1:CD003041.
5. Berlin I: Smoking-induced metabolic disorders: a review. Diabetes Metab 2008, 34:307-314.
6. Willi C, Bodenmann P, Ghali WA, Faris PD, Cornuz J: Active smoking and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2007, 298:2654-2664.
7. Yeh HC, Duncan BB, Schmidt MI, Wang NY, Brancati FL: Smoking, smoking cessation, and risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2010, 152:10-17.
8. Luo J, Rossouw J, Tong E, Giovino GA, Lee C, Chen C, Ockene JK, Qi L, Margolis KL: Smoking cessation, weight gain, and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus among postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med 2012, 172:438-440.
9. Houston TK, Person SD, Pletcher MJ, Liu K, Iribarren C, Kiefe CI: Active and passive smoking and development of glucose intolerance among young adults in a prospective cohort: CARDIA study. BMJ 2006, 332:1064-1069.
10. Kowall B, Rathmann W, Strassburger K, Heier M, Holle R, Thorand B, Giani G, Peters A, Meisinger C: Association of passive and active smoking with incident type 2 diabetes mellitus in the elderly population: the KORA S4/ F4 cohort study. Eur J Epidemiol 2010, 25:393-402.