Subject: Epidemiology | Feasibility Studies | R5-920 | Data Interpretation, Statistical | Correspondence | Methods | Medicine (General) | Editorial Policies | Humans | Pilot Projects | R1 | RA
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>In 2004, a review of pilot studies published in seven major medical journals during 2000-01 recommended that the statistical analysis of such studies should be either mainly descriptive or focus on sample size estimation, while resul... View more
1. Arnold DM, Burns KE, Adhikari NK, Kho ME, Meade MO, Cook DJ: McMaster Critical Care Interest Group. The design and interpretation of pilot trials in clinical research in critical care. Crit Care Med 2009, 37(Suppl 1):S69-74.
2. Thabane L, Ma J, Chu R, Cheng J, Ismaila A, Rios LP, Robson R, Thabane M, Goldsmith CH: A tutorial on pilot studies: The what, why and How. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2010, 10:1.
3. Lancaster GA, Dodd S, Williamson PR: Design and analysis of pilot studies: recommendations for good practice. J Eval Clin Pract 2004, 10:307-12.
4. Halpern SD, Karlawish JH, Berlin JA: The continuing unethical conduct of underpowered clinical trials. JAMA 2002, 288:358-62.
5. Kraemer HC, Mintz J, Noda A, Tinklenberg J, Yesavage JA: Caution regarding the use of pilot studies to guide power calculations for study proposals. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2006, 63:484-9.
6. Grimes DA, Schulz KF: Descriptive studies: what they can and cannot do. Lancet 2002, 359:145-9.
7. Ioannidis JPA: Why Most Published Research Findings Are False. PLoS Med 2005, 2(8):e124.
8. Lancaster GA, Campbell MJ, Eldridge S, Farrin A, Marchant M, Muller S, Perera R, Peters TJ, Prevost AT, Rait G: Trials in Primary Care: issues in the design of complex intervention. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2010. to appear
9. Craig P, Dieppe P, Macintyre S, Michie S, Nazareth I, Petticrew M: Developing and evaluating complex interventions: new guidance. 2008 [http://www.mrc.ac.uk/Utilities/Documentrecord/ index.htm?d=MRC004871]. Medical Research Council