Subject: Nutrition. Foods and food supply | TX341-641 | dietary consumption | biomarkers | Vietnam | zinc | stunting | anemia | South East Asia | Article
Zinc deficiency has serious wide-ranging health consequences and is thought to be one of the most prevalent micronutrient deficiencies in the world. However, reliable indicators or biomarkers to assess zinc status are not available at present. Indirect indicators such a... View more
1. Hotz, C.; Brown, K.H. Assessment of the Risk of Zinc Deficiency in Populations and Options for its Control. IZINCG Technical Document #1; International Nutrition Foundation for United Nations University Press: Tokyo, Japan, 2004.
2. Prasad, A.S.; Halsted, J.A.; Nadimi, M. Syndrome of iron deficiency, anemia, hepatosplenomegaly, hypogonadism, dwarfism, and geophagia. Am. J. Med. 1961, 31, 532-546.
3. Hambidge, M. Human zinc deficiency. J. Nutr. 2000, 130, 1344S-1349S.
4. Black, R.E.; Victora, C.G.; Walker, S.P.; Bhutta, Z.A.; Christian, P.; de Onis, M.; Ezzati, M.; Grantham-McGregor, S.; Katz, J.; Martorell, R.; et al. Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 2013, 382, 427-451.
5. WHO. Indicators for Assessing Vitamin A Deficiency and Their Application in Monitoring and Evaluating Intervention Programmes; WHO: Geneva, Switzerland, 1996.
6. Mei, Z.; Cogswell, M.E.; Parvanta, I.; Lynch, S.; Beard, J.L.; Stoltzfus, R.J.; Grummer-Strawn, L.M. Hemoglobin and ferritin are currently the most efficient indicators of population response to iron interventions: An analysis of nine randomized controlled trials. J. Nutr. 2005, 135, 1974-1980.
7. Lowe, N.M.; Fekete, K.; Decsi, T. Methods of assessment of zinc status in humans: A systematic review. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2009, 89, 2040S-2051S.
8. Laillou, A.; Pham, T.V.; Tran, N.T.; Le, H.T.; Wieringa, F.; Rohner, F.; Fortin, S.; Le, M.B.; Tran do, T.; Moench-Pfanner, R.; et al. Micronutrient deficits are still public health issues among women and young children in Vietnam. PLoS ONE 2012, 7, e34906.
9. De Onis, M.; Onyango, A.W.; Borghi, E.; Garza, C.; Yang, H. Comparison of the World Health Organization (WHO) Child Growth Standards and the National Center for Health Statistics/WHO international growth reference: Implications for child health programmes. Public Health Nutr. 2006, 9, 942-947.
10. Tan, K.C.B. Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 2004, 363, 157-163.