Subject: Postnatal | Medicine (miscellaneous) | 610.7 Medical education, research & nursing | R5-920 | Health behavior change | 610 Medicine & health | Behaviour change | Medicine | 618 Gynecology, obstetrics, pediatrics & geriatrics | Consultations | Physical activity | Randomized controlled trial | Pram-walking | PA | RG Gynecology and obstetrics | Wellbeing | Pharmacology | RA0421 Public health. Hygiene. Preventive Medicine | Medicine (General) | Accelerometers | Study Protocol | Pram walking | Pharmacology (medical)
<p>Abstract</p> <p>Background</p> <p>Many postnatal women are insufficiently physically active in the year after childbirth and could benefit from interventions to increase activity levels. However, there is limited information about the efficacy, feasibility and accept... View more
1. Pivarnick JM, Chambliss HO, Clapp JF, Dugan SA, Hatch MC, Lovelady CA, Mottola MF, Williams MA: Impact of physical activity during pregnancy and postpartum on chronic disease risk. Roundtable Consensus Statement. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2006, 38:989-1006.
2. Artal R, O'Toole M: Guidelines of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists for exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Br J Sports Med 2003, 37:6-12.
3. Sampselle CM, Seng J, Yeo S, Killion C, Oakley D: Physical activity and postpartum well-being. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 1999, 28:41-49.
4. Armstrong K, Edwards H: The effectiveness of a pram-walking exercise programme in reducing depressive symptomatology for postpartum women. Intl J Nurs Pract 2004, 10:77-194.
5. Drista M, Da Costa D, Dupuis G, Lowensteyn I, Khalife S: Effects of a homebased exercise intervention on fatigue in postpartum depressed women: results of a randomized controlled trial. Ann Behav Med 2008, 35:175-187.
6. Amorim AR, Linne YM, Lourenco PMC: Diet or exercise, or both, for weight reduction in women after childbirth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007: CD005627.
7. Danaei G, Ding EL, Mozaffarian D, Taylor B, Rehm J, Murray CJ, Ezzati M: The preventable causes of death in the United States: comparative risk assessment of dietary, lifestyle, and metabolic risk factors. PLoS Med 2009, 6:e1000058. Erratum in: PLoS Med 2011, 8(1).
8. Hardman AE, Stensel DJ: Physical Activity and Health: The Evidence Explained. 2nd edition. London: Routledge, Taylor and Francis; 2009.
9. Clarke KK, Freeland-Graves J, Klohe-Lehman DM, Milani TJ, Nuss HJ, Laffrey S: Promotion of physical activity in low-income mothers using pedometers. J Am Diet Assoc 2007, 107:962-976.
10. Farenwald NL, Atwood JR, Walker SN, Johnson DR, Berg K: A randomized pilot test of “Moms on the Move”: a physical activity intervention for WIC mothers. Ann Behav Med 2004, 27:82-90.