Subject: stream tracers | Water supply for domestic and industrial purposes | mine hydrology | fluorescent dye tracers | TD201-500 | water isotopes | TC1-978 | Hydraulic engineering | groundwater | acid mine drainage
Stream water quality in areas of the western United States continues to be degraded by acid mine drainage (AMD), a legacy of hard-rock mining. The Rico-Argentine Mine in southwestern Colorado consists of complex multiple-level mine workings connected to a drainage tunne... View more
1. Wireman, M.; Stover, B. Hard-rock mining and water resources. Ground Water 2011, 49, 310-316.
2. National Hardrock Mining Framework; U.S. EPA 833-B-97-003; U.S. EPA Office of Water: Washington, DC, USA, 1997.
3. Riebsame, W. Atlas of the New West: Portrait of a Changing Region; W.W. Norton & Company: New York, NY, USA, 1997; p. 192.
4. Kimball, B.A.; Runkel, R.L.; Walton-Day, K.; Bencala, K.E. Assessment of metal loads in watersheds affected by acid mine drainage by using tracer injection and synoptic sampling: Cement Creek, Colorado, USA. Appl. Geochem. 2002, 17, 1183-1207.
5. Jarvis, A.P.; Younger, P.L. Dominating chemical factors in mine water induced impoverishment of the invertebrate fauna of two streams in the Durham coalfield, UK. Chem. Ecol. 1997, 13, 249-270.
6. Nordstrom, D.K. Acid rock drainage and climate change. J. Geochem. Explor. 2009, 100, 97-104.
7. Wolkersdorfer, C. Mine water tracing. In Mine Water Hydrogeology and Geochemistry; Younger, P.L., Robins, N.S., Eds.; Geological Society: London, UK, 2002; pp. 47-60.
8. Field, M.S.; Wilhelm, R.G.; Quinlan, J.F.; Aley, T.J. An assessment of the potential adverse properties of fluorescent tracer dyes used for groundwater tracing. Environ. Monit. Assess. 1995, 38, 75-96.
9. Wolkersdofer, C. Water Management at Abandoned Flooded Underground Mines-Fundamentals, Tracer Tests, Modeling, Water Treatment; Springer: Heidelberg, Germany, 2008; p. 466.
10. Alvarado, J.A.C.; Purtschert, R.; Barbecot, F.; Chabault, C.; Ruedi, J.; Schneider, V.; Aeschbach-Hertig, W.; Kipfer, R.; Loosli, H.H. Constraining the age distribution of highly mixed groundwater using 39Ar: A multiple environmental tracer (3H/3He, 85Kr, 39Ar, and 14C) study in the semiconfined Fontainebleau Sands Aquifer (France). Water Resour. Res. 2007, 43, 1-16.