Subject: Global Health | Biotechnology | Research Article | Biology | qx_600 | Infectious Diseases | qu_475 | wc_528 | Enzymes | Medicine | Agriculture | RC955-962 | Neglected Tropical Diseases | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | Proteins | Biochemistry | qx_525 | Pest Control | Enzyme Classes | Arctic medicine. Tropical medicine | Public Health
mesheuropmc: digestive system | parasitic diseases
Background\ud \ud Pyrethroids are increasingly used to block the transmission of diseases spread by Aedes aegypti such as dengue and yellow fever. However, insecticide resistance poses a serious threat, thus there is an urgent need to identify the genes and proteins ass... View more
1. WHO (2009) Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever. Factsheet no117 revised March 2009.
2. Kroeger A, Lenhart A, Ochoa M, Villegas E, Levy M, et al. (2006) Effective control of dengue vectors with curtains and water container covers treated with insecticide in Mexico and Venezuela: cluster randomised trials. Bmj 332: 1247-1252.
3. Lenhart A, Orelus N, Maskill R, Alexander N, Streit T, et al. (2008) Insecticidetreated bednets to control dengue vectors: preliminary evidence from a controlled trial in Haiti. Trop Med Int Health 13: 56-67.
4. Vanlerberghe V, Villegas E, Oviedo M, Baly A, Lenhart A, et al. (2011) Evaluation of the effectiveness of insecticide treated materials for household level dengue vector control. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5: e994.
5. Hemingway J, Beaty BJ, Rowland M, Scott TW, Sharp BL (2006) The Innovative Vector Control Consortium: improved control of mosquito-borne diseases. Trends Parasitol 22: 308-312.
6. Chuaycharoensuk T, Juntarajumnong W, Boonyuan W, Bangs MJ, Akratanakul P, et al. (2011) Frequency of pyrethroid resistance in Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Thailand. J Vector Ecol 36: 204-212.
7. Harris AF, Rajatileka S, Ranson H (2010) Pyrethroid resistance in Aedes aegypti from Grand Cayman. Am J Trop Med Hyg 83: 277-284.
8. Ahmad I, Astari S, Tan M (2007) Resistance of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) in 2006 to pyrethroid insecticides in Indonesia and its association with oxidase and esterase levels. Pak J Biol Sci 10: 3688-3692.
9. Rodriguez MM, Bisset JA, De Armas Y, Ramos F (2005) Pyrethroid insecticideresistant strain of Aedes aegypti from Cuba induced by deltamethrin selection. J Am Mosq Control Assoc 21: 437-445.
10. Hemingway J, Ranson H (2000) Insecticide resistance in insect vectors of human disease. Annu Rev Entomol 45: 371-391.