Subject: Water storage | RC109-216 | Aedes aegypti | Infectious Diseases | Thailand | Infectious and parasitic diseases | Laos | Dengue | Research | Parasitology
Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne disease accounting for 50–100 million annual cases globally. Laos and Thailand are countries in south-east Asia where the disease is endemic in both urban and rural areas. Household water storage containers, which are favo... View more
1. WHO. Dengue. 2014. http://www.wpro.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs_ 09032012_Dengue/en/. Accessed 14 Nov 2016.
2. Bhatt S, Gething PW, Brady OJ, Messina JP, Farlow AW, Moyes CL, et al. The global distribution and burden of dengue. Nature. 2013;496(7446):504-7.
3. Chareonsook O, Foy HM, Teeraratkul A, Silarug N. Changing epidemiology of dengue hemorrhagic fever in Thailand. Epidemiol Infect. 1999;122(01):161-6.
4. Strickman D, Sithiprasasna R, Kittayapong P, Innis BL. Distribution of dengue and Japanese encephalitis among children in rural and suburban Thai villages. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2000;63(1-2):27-35.
5. Kumar A, Sharma SK, Padbidri VS, Thakare JP, Jain DC, Datta KK. An outbreak of dengue fever in rural areas of northern India. J Commun Dis. 2001;33(4):274-81.
6. Vong S, Khieu V, Glass O, Ly S, Duong V, Huy R, et al. Dengue incidence in urban and rural Cambodia: results from population-based active fever surveillance, 2006-2008. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4(11):e903.
7. Mayxay M, Cui W, Thammavong S, Khensakhou K, Vongxay V, Inthasoum L, et al. Dengue in peri-urban Pak-Ngum district, Vientiane capital of Laos: a community survey on knowledge, attitudes and practices. BMC Public Health. 2013;13(1):1.
8. Dubot-Pérès A, Vongphrachanh P, Denny J, Phetsouvanh R, Linthavong S, Sengkeopraseuth B, et al. An epidemic of dengue-1 in a remote village in rural Laos. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7(8):e2360.
9. WHO. Zika Virus. 2016. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/zika/en/. Accessed 6 Jan 2017.
10. Nimmannitya S, Halstead SB, Cohen SN, Margiotta MR. Dengue and chikungunya virus infection in man in Thailand, 1962-1964. I. observations on hospitalized patients with hemorrhagic fever. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1969; 18(6):954-71.