No previous study has used whole-genome sequencing (WGS) to investigate risk factors for C. difficile(CD) transmission between symptomatic cases, or assessed the impact of recent acquisition on patient outcome.
<strong>Methods</strong>... View more
1. Magill SS, Edwards JR, Bamberg W, et al. Emerging infections program healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use prevalence survey team. Multistate point-prevalence survey of health care-associated infections. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1198-208.
2. Rao K, Micic D, Natarajan M, et al. Clostridium difficile ribotype 027: Relationship to age, detectability of toxins A or B in stool with rapid testing, severe infection, and mortality. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61:233-41.
3. Cohen SH, Gerding DN, Johnson S, et al.; Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America; Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2010; 31:431-55.
4. O'Neill GL, Ogunsola FT, Brazier JS, Duerden BI. Modification of a PCR ribotyping method for application as a routine typing scheme for Clostridium difficile. Anaerobe 1996; 2:205-9.
5. Wilcox MH, Shetty N, Fawley WN, et al. Changing epidemiology of Clostridium difficile infection following the introduction of a national ribotyping-based surveillance scheme in England. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 55:1056-63.
6. Alonso R, Martín A, Peláez T, Marín M, Rodríguez-Creixéms M, Bouza E. An improved protocol for pulsed-field gel electrophoresis typing of Clostridium difficile. J Med Microbiol 2005; 54:155-7.
7. He M, Miyajima F, Roberts P, et al. Emergence and global spread of epidemic healthcare-associated Clostridium difficile. Nat Genet 2013; 45:109-13.
8. Didelot X, Eyre DW, Cule M, et al. Microevolutionary analysis of Clostridium difficile genomes to investigate transmission. Genome Biol 2012; 13:R118.
9. Eyre DW, Cule ML, Wilson DJ, et al. Diverse sources of C. difficile infection identified on whole-genome sequencing. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1195-205.
10. Eyre DW, Tracey L, Elliott B, et al. Emergence and spread of predominantly community-onset Clostridium difficile PCR ribotype 244 infection in Australia, 2010 to 2012. Euro Surveill, 2015; 20:pii21059.