Subject: theory of planned behavior | RJ1-570 | Review | theory of reasoned action | Pediatrics | Adolescent Health, Medicine and Therapeutics | nutrition behavior | youth
Christine L Hackman, Adam P KnowldenDepartment of Health Science, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, USABackground: Childhood obesity has reached epidemic proportions in many nations around the world. The theory of planned behavior (TPB) and the theory of reason... View more
1. WHO. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. World Health Organization Technical Report Series 894. 2000. Available from http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/obesity/WHO_TRS_894/en/. Accessed March 12, 2014.
2. Pi-Sunyer FX. Medical hazards of obesity. Ann Intern Med. 1993; 119(7/2):655-660.
3. Deckelbaum RJ, Williams CL. Childhood obesity: the health issue. Obes Res. 2001;9(S11):239S-243S.
4. Whitaker RC, Wright JA, Pepe MS, Seidel KD, Dietz WH. Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med. 1997;337(13):869-873.
5. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK, Flegal KM. Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010. JAMA. 2012;307(5):483-490.
6. Hall KD, Heymsfield SB, Kemnitz JW, Klein S, Schoeller DA, Speakman JR. Energy balance and its components: implications for body weight regulation. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95(4):989-994.
7. Daniels SR, Arnett DK, Eckel RH, et al. Overweight in children and adolescents: pathophysiology, consequences, prevention, and treatment. Circulation. 2005;111(15):1999-2012.
8. Epstein LH, Gordy CC, Raynor HA, Beddome M, Kilanowski CK, Paluch R. Increasing fruit and vegetable intake and decreasing fat and sugar intake in families at risk for childhood obesity. Obes Res. 2001;9(3):171-078.
9. Poddar K, Hosig K, Anderson E, Nickols-Richardson S, Duncan S. Webbased nutrition education intervention improves self-efcfiacy and selfregulation related to increased dairy intake in college students. Journal Of The American Dietetic Association [serial online]. November 1, 2010;110(11):1723-1727.
10. Ajzen I. The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 1991;50(2):179-211.