Subject: monitoring and evaluation | vertical programme | RA1-1270 | Public aspects of medicine | district health system | integration | Building New Knowledge Supplement | South Africa | Health Systems, Integration, Vertical Programme, Disease-specific Intervention | Health Systems; Global Health | disease-specific intervention | health system strengthening
Background: In light of an increasing global focus on health system strengthening and integration of vertical programmes within health systems, methods and tools are required to examine whether general health service managers exercise administrative authority over verti... View more
1. Gonzalez CL. Mass campaigns and general health services. Public Health Papers No. 29. World Health Organization: Geneva; 1965.
2. Cairncross S, Perie`s H, Cutts F. Vertical health programmes. Lancet 1997; 349(Suppl 3): S20 S1.
3. Mills A. Vertical vs horizontal health programmes in Africa: idealism, pragmatism, resources, and efficiency. Soc Sci Med 1983; 17: 1971 81.
4. World Health Organization Maximizing Positive Synergies Collaborative Group. An assessment of interactions between global health initiatives and country health systems. Lancet 2009; 373: 2137 69.
5. Bill & Mellinda Gates Foundation, McKinsey & Company. Global Health Partnerships: Assessing Country Consequences. McKinsey & Company, 2005.
6. Sep u´lveda J, Bustreo F, Tapia R, Rivera J, Lozano R, Ola´iz G. Improvement of child survival in Mexico: the diagonal approach. Lancet 2006; 368: 2017 27.
7. Ooms G, Van Damme W, Baker B, Zeitz P, Schrecker T. The 'diagonal' approach to Global Fund financing: a cure for the broader malaise of health systems? Global Health 2008; 4: 6.
8. Unger JP. How could disease specific programs strengthen health systems delivering comprehensive health care? Strategic and technical guidelines. Antwerp: Institute of Tropical Medicine; 2008.
9. Spaulding A, Brickley D, Kennedy C, Almers L, Packel L, Mirjahangir J, et al. Linking family planning with HIV/AIDS interventions: a systematic review of the evidence. AIDS 2009; 23(Suppl 1): S79 88.
10. Schierhout G, Fonn S. The integration of primary health care services: a systematic literature review. Durban: Health Systems Trust; 1999.