BACKGROUND: Mass spectrometry protein profiling is a promising tool for biomarker discovery in clinical proteomics. However, the development of a reliable approach for the separation of protein signals from noise is required. In this paper, LIMPIC, a computational metho... View more
1. Rifai N, Gillette MA, Carr SA: Protein biomarker discovery and validation: the long and uncertain path to clinical utility. Nat Biotechnol 2006, 24(8):971-983.
2. Diamandis EP: Mass spectrometry as a diagnostic and a cancer biomarker discovery tool: opportunities and potential limitations. Mol Cell Proteomics 2004, 3(4):367-378.
3. Reyzer ML, Caprioli RM: MALDI mass spectrometry for direct tissue analysis: a new tool for biomarker discovery. J Proteome Res 2005, 4(4):1138-1142.
4. Bonk T, Humeny A: MALDI-TOF-MS analysis of protein and DNA. Neuroscientist 2001, 7(1):6-12.
5. Maddalo G, Petrucci F, Iezzi M, Pannellini T, Del Boccio P, Ciavardelli D, Biroccio A, Forli F, Di Ilio C, Ballone E, Urbani A, Federici G: Analytical assessment of MALDI-TOF Imaging Mass Spectrometry on thin histological samples. An insight in proteome investigation. Clin Chim Acta 2005, 357(2):210-218.
6. Gras R, Muller M, Gasteiger E, Gay S, Binz PA, Bienvenut W, Hoogland C, Sanchez JC, Bairoch A, Hochstrasser DF, Appel RD: Improving protein identification from peptide mass fingerprinting through a parameterized multi-level scoring algorithm and an optimized peak detection. Electrophoresis 1999, 20(18):3535-3550.
7. Satten GA, Datta S, Moura H, Woolfitt AR, Carvalho Mda G, Carlone GM, De BK, Pavlopoulos A, Barr JR: Standardization and denoising algorithms for mass spectra to classify whole-organism bacterial specimens. Bioinformatics 2004, 20(17):3128-3136.
8. Yasui Y, McLerran D, Adam BL, Winget M, Thornquist M, Feng Z: An Automated Peak Identification/Calibration Procedure for High-Dimensional Protein Measures From Mass Spectrometers. J Biomed Biotechnol 2003, 2003(4):242-248.
9. Kempka M, Sjodahl J, Bjork A, Roeraade J: Improved method for peak picking in matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2004, 18(11):1208-1212.
10. Coombes KR, Tsavachidis S, Morris JS, Baggerly KA, Hung MC, Kuerer HM: Improved peak detection and quantification of mass spectrometry data acquired from surface-enhanced laser desorption and ionization by denoising spectra with the undecimated discrete wavelet transform. Proteomics 2005, 5(16):4107-4117.