Group art therapy as an adjunctive treatment for people with schizophrenia: a randomised controlled trial (MATISSE).
MJ Crawford; H Killaspy; TR Barnes; B Barrett; S Byford; K Clayton; J Dinsmore; S Floyd; A Hoadley; T Johnson; E Kalaitzaki; M King; B Leurent; A Maratos; FA O’Neill; D Osborn; S Patterson; T Soteriou; P Tyrer; D Waller;
Publisher: NIHR Journals Library
Journal: Health Technology Assessment (issn: 1366-5278)
OBJECTIVE To examine the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of referral to group art therapy plus standard care, compared with referral to an activity group plus standard care and standard care alone, among people with schizophrenia. DESIGN A three-arm, paral... View more
1. Kemp R, Hayward P, Applewhaite G, Everitt B, David A. Compliance therapy in psychotic patients: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 1996;312:345-9.
2. Startup M, Jackson MC, Bendix S. North Wales randomized controlled trial of cognitive behaviour therapy for acute schizophrenia spectrum disorders: outcomes at 6 and 12 months. Psychol Med 2004;34:413-22.
3. Goldner EM, Hsu L, Waraich P, Somers JM. Prevalence and incidence studies of schizophrenia: a systematic review of the literature. Can J Psychiatry 2002;47:833-43.
4. Corrigan PW, Liberman RP, Engel JD. From noncompliance to collaboration in the treatment of schizophrenia. Hosp Community Psychiatr 1990;41:1203-11.
5. Pilling S, Bebbington P, Kuipers E, Garety P, Geddes J, Orbach G, et al. Psychological treatments in schizophrenia: I. Meta-analysis of family intervention and cognitive behaviour therapy. Psychol Med 2002;32:763-82.
6. Hogan S. Healing arts: the history of art therapy. London: Jessica Kingsley; 2005.
7. British Association of Art eThrapists. Personal communication, 2005.
8. Borchers KK. Do gains made in group art therapy persist? A study with aeftrcare patients. Am J Art eThr 1985;23:89-91.
9. Green BL, Wehling C, Talsky GJ. Group art therapy as an adjunct to treatment for chronic outpatients. Hosp Community Psychiatr 1987;38:988-91.
10. Richardson P, Jones K, Evans C, Stevens P, Rowe A. An exploratory randomised trial of group based art therapy as an adjunctive treatment in severe mental illness. J Ment Health 2005 (submitted).