Environmental perturbations during early mammalian development can affect aspects of offspring growth and cardiovascular health. We have demonstrated previously that maternal gestational dietary protein restriction in mice significantly elevated adult offspring systolic... View more
1. Barker DJ (2002) Fetal programming of coronary heart disease. Trends Endocrinol Metab 13, 364 - 368.
2. Hanson MA & Gluckman PD (2008) Developmental origins of health and disease: new insights. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 102, 90 - 93.
3. McMillen IC & Robinson JS (2005) Developmental origins of the metabolic syndrome: prediction, plasticity, and programming. Physiol Rev 85, 571 - 633.
4. Brawley L, Itoh S, Torrens C, et al. (2003) Dietary protein restriction in pregnancy induces hypertension and vascular defects in rat male offspring. Pediatr Res 54, 83 - 90.
5. Edwards LJ & McMillen IC (2002) Periconceptional nutrition programs development of the cardiovascular system in the fetal sheep. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 283, R669 - R679.
6. Langley SC & Jackson AA (1994) Increased systolic blood pressure in adult rats induced by fetal exposure to maternal low protein diets. Clin Sci (Lond) 86, 217 - 222.
7. Torrens C, Brawley L, Barker A, et al. (2003) Maternal protein restriction in the rat impairs resistance artery but not conduit artery function in pregnant offspring. J Physiol 547, 77 - 84.
8. Torrens C, Brawley L, Anthony F, et al. (2006) Folate supplementation during pregnancy improves offspring cardiovascular dysfunction induced by protein restriction. Hypertension 47, 982 - 987.
9. Cleal JK, Poore KR, Boullin JP, et al. (2007) Mismatched pre- and postnatal nutrition leads to cardiovascular dysfunction and altered renal function in adulthood. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104, 9529 - 9533.
10. Khan OA, Torrens C, Noakes DE, et al. (2005) Effects of pre-natal and early post-natal undernutrition on adult internal thoracic artery function. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 28, 811 - 815.