Key learning points:\ud - Women who start pregnancy in an overweight or obese weight category have increased health risks\ud - Irrespective of pre-pregnancy weight category, there are health risks associated with gaining too much weight in pregnancy for both mother and ... View more
1. Heslehurst N, Rankin J, Wilkinson JR, Summerbell CD. A nationally representative study of maternal obesity in England, UK: trends in incidence and demographic inequalities in 619 323 births, 1989-2007. International Journal of Obesity 2010;34(3):420-8. DOI:10.1038/ ijo.2009.250 (accessed 1 Septemeber 2015).
2. Crozier SR, Inskip HM, Godfrey KM, Cooper C, Harvey NC, Cole ZA, et al. Weight gain in pregnancy and childhood body composition: Findings from the Southampton Women's Survey. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2010;91(6):1745-51. DOI:10.3945/ajcn.2009.29128 (accessed 1 September 2015).
3. Marchi J, Berg M, Dencker A, Olander EK, Begley C. Risks associated with obesity in pregnancy, for the mother and baby: a systematic review of reviews. Obesity Reviews 2015;16(8):621-38. DOI: 10.1111/obr.12288 (accessed 1 September 2015).
4. Molyneaux E, Poston L, Ashurst-Williams S, Howard LM. Obesity and Mental Disorders During Pregnancy and Postpartum: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2014;123(4):857-67. DOI: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000170 (accessed 1 September 2015).
5. McDonald SD, Han Z, Mulla S, Beyene J. Overweight and obesity in mothers and risk of preterm birth and low birth weight infants: systematic review and meta-analyses. British Medical Journal 2010;341. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.c3428. (accessed 1 September 2015).
6. Keely A, Lawton J, Swanson V, Denison FC. Barriers to breast-feeding in obese women: A qualitative exploration. Midwifery 2015;31(5):532-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.midw.2015.02.001. (accessed 1 September 2015).
7. Smith D, Lavender T. The maternity experience for women with a body mass index ≥ 30 kg/m2: a meta-synthesis. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2011;118(7):779-89. DOI: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.02924.x. (accessed 1 September 2015).
8. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. NICE public health guidance 27: Dietary interventions and physical activity interventions for weight management before, during and after pregnancy, 2010. guidance. nice.org.uk/PH27 (accessed 1 September 2015).
9. Neville CE, McKinley MC, Holmes VA, Spence D, Woodside JV. The relationship between breastfeeding and postpartum weight change-a systematic review and critical evaluation. International Journal of Obesity 2013;38(4):577-90. DOI: 10.1038/ijo.2013.132. (accessed 1 September 2015).
10. McKeating A, Maguire PJ, Daly N, Farren M, McMahon L, Turner MJ. Trends in maternal obesity in a large university hospital 2009-2013. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica 2015;94(9):969-75. DOI: 10.1111/aogs.12685 (accessed 1 September 2015).