mesheuropmc: nervous system diseases | animal diseases
The emergence of variant Creutzfeld-Jakob disease, following on from the bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) epidemic, led to concerns about the potential risk of iatrogenic transmission of disease by blood transfusion and the introduction of costly control measures ... View more
1. Will RG, Ironside JW, Zeidler M, et al. A new variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the UK. Lancet. 1996;347:921-925.
2. Hilton DA, Ghani AC, Conyers L, et al. Prevalence of lymphoreticular prion protein accumulation in UK tissue samples. J Pathol. 2004;203:733-739.
3. Hill AF, Butterworth RJ, Joiner S, et al. Investigation of variant CreutzfeldtJakob disease and other human prion diseases with tonsil biopsy samples. Lancet. 1999;353:183-189.
4. Brown P, Cervenakova L, McShane LM, Barber P, Rubenstein R, Drohan WN. Further studies of blood infectivity in an experimental model of transmissible 22. Houston EF, Halliday SI, Jeffrey M, Goldmann W, Hunter N. New Zealand sheep with scrapie-susceptible PrP genotypes succumb to experimental challenge with a sheep-passaged scrapie isolate (SSBP/1). J Gen Virol. 2002;83:1247-1250.
23. Schreuder BE, van Keulen LJ, Vromans ME, Langeveld JP, Smits MA. Tonsillar biopsy and PrPSc detection in the preclinical diagnosis of scrapie. Vet Rec. 1998;142:564-568.
24. Andréoletti O, Berthon P, Marc D, et al. Early accumulation of PrP(Sc) in gutassociated lymphoid and nervous tissues of susceptible sheep from a Romanov flock with natural scrapie. J Gen Virol. 2000;81:3115-3126.
25. Valleron A-J, Boelle P-Y, Will R, Cesbron J-Y. Estimation of Epidemic Size and Incubation Time Based on Age Characteristics of vCJD in the United Kingdom. Science. 2001;294:1726-1728.
26. Goldmann W, Hunter N, Smith G, Foster J, Hope J. PrP genotype and agent effects in scrapie: change in allelic interaction with different isolates of agent in sheep, a natural host of scrapie. J Gen Virol. 1994;75:989-995.
27. O'Rourke KI, Holyoak GR, Clark WW, et al. PrP genotypes and experimental scrapie in orally inoculated Suffolk sheep in the United States. J Gen Virol. 1997;78:975-978.
28. Jeffrey M, Martin S, Thomson JR, Dingwall WS, Begara-McGorum I, González L. Onset and distribution of tissue prp accumulation in scrapie-affected suffolk sheep as demonstrated by sequential necropsies and tonsillar biopsies. J Comp Pathol. 2001;125:48-57.