The co-existence of very short stature due to poor chronic environment in early life and obesity is becoming a public health concern in rapidly transitioning populations with high levels of poverty. Individuals who have very short stature seem to be at an increased risk... View more
1. Popkin BM (2002) The shift in stages of the nutrition transition in the developing world differs from past experiences! Public Health Nutr 5, 205-214.
2. Alves JG, Falcao RW, Pinto RA et al. (2011) Obesity patterns among women in a slum area in Brazil. J Health Popul Nutr 29, 286-289.
3. Ferreira HS, Moura FA, Cabral CR, Jr. et al. (2009) Short stature of mothers from an area endemic for undernutrition is associated with obesity, hypertension and stunted children: a population-based study in the semi-arid region of Alagoas, Northeast Brazil. Br J Nutr 101, 1239-1245.
4. Florencio TT, Ferreira HS, Cavalcante JC et al. (2003) Food consumed does not account for the higher prevalence of obesity among stunted adults in a very-low-income population in the Northeast of Brazil (Maceio, Alagoas). Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 1437-1446.
5. Florencio TT, Ferreira HS, Cavalcante JC et al (2007) Short stature, abdominal obesity, insulin resistance and alterations in lipid profile in very low-income women living in Maceio, north eastern Brazil. Eur J Cardiov Prev R 14. 346-348.
6. Grillo LP, Siqueira AF, Silva AC et al. (2005) Lower resting metabolic rate and higher velocity of weight gain in a prospective study of stunted vs nonstunted girls living in the shantytown of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 835-842.
7. Martins PA, Hoffman DJ, Fernandes MT et al. (2004) Stunted children gain less lean body mass and more fat mass than their non-stunted counterparts: a prospective study. Br J Nutr 92, 819-825.
8. Romaguera D, Samman N, Farfan N et al. (2008) Nutritional status of the Andean population of Puna and Quebrada of Humahuaca, Jujuy, Argentina. Pub Health Nutr 11, 606-615.
9. Said-Mohamed R, Allirot X, Sobgui M et al. (2009) Determinant of overweight associated with stunting in preschool children of Yaounde, Cameroon. Ann Hum Biol 36, 146-161.
10. Sichieri R, Dos Santos Barbosa F, Moura EC (2010) Relationship between short stature and obesity in Brazil: a multilevel analysis. Br J Nutr 103, 1534-1538.