1. Wackwitz S. Und ewig fiept das Tamagotchi. Die Woche Extra 1997;December 19:25 (our translation).
2. A false contrast; an ideal start to enrage the critical thinker but catch everybody else's attention.
3. Anderson S, Cavanagh J. Top 200 -The Rise of Corporate Global Power. Washington: Institute for Policy Studies. Available from: http://www.ips-dc.org/downloads/Top_200.pdf, accessed January 22, 2005. First calculation based on a comparison of corporate sales with country GDPs.
4. The New Oxford Dictionary of English. For a summary of more detailed definitions, see Schroeder D. Work Incentives and Welfare Provision -The Pathological Theory of Unemployment. Aldershot: Ashgate; 2000:131-6.
5. For instance, the World Trade Organization is in the process of converging national legislation based on great cultural differences (e.g., United States, China, Cuba, Russia) within its trade-related agreements, an unprecedented and enforceable step at the global level.
6. Aristotle. Politik. Hamburg: Felix Meiner Verlag 1981:8ff (1254a-1255a).
7. Of course, not all Western moral systems are universalizing. A feminist ethics of care, for instance, is more akin to sub-Sahara African thought than to Kantian deontology.
8. Appial AK. Ethical systems, African. In: Craig E, ed. Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. London: Routledge, accessed June 11, 2004 (www.rep.routledge.com).