Performance of private sector health care: implications for universal health coverage
Morgan, R; Ensor, T; Waters, H;
mesheuropmc: health care economics and organizations
Although the private sector is an important health-care provider in many low-income and middle-income countries, its role in progress towards universal health coverage varies. Studies of the performance of the private sector have focused on three main dimensions: qualit... View more
1. Bennett S, Hanson K, Kadama P, Montagu D. Working with the Non-State Sector to Achieve Public Health Goals. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2005.
2. Mackintosh M, Selveraj S, Channon A, Zhao H, Cavagnero E, Karan A. What is the private systems. Lancet. 2016;xxx.
3. Basu S, Andrews J, Kishore S, Panjabi R, Stuckler D. Comparative Performance of Private and Public Healthcare Systems in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review. Plos Medicine. 2012;9(6):e1001244.
4. Berendes S, Heywood P, Oliver S, Garner P. Quality of Private and Public Ambulatory Health Care in Low and Middle Income Countries: Systematic Review of Comparative Studies. Plos Medicine. 2011;8(4):e1000433.
5. Bhatia J, Cleland J. Health care of female outpatients in south-central India: comparing public and private sector provision. . Health Policy and Planning. 2004;19(6):402-6.
6. Brugha R. Antiretroviral Treatment in Developing Countries: The Peril of Neglecting Private Providers. British Medical Journal. 2003;326:1382-4.
7. Nyazema N, Khosa S, Landman I, Sibanda E, Gael K. Antiretroviral (ARV) drug utilization in Harare. Central African Journal of Medicine. 2000;46(4):89-93.
8. Gbotosho GO, Happi CT, Ganiyu A, Ogundahunsi OA, Sowunmi A, Oduola AM. Potential contribution of prescription practices to the emergence and spread of chloroquine resistance in south-west Nigeria: caution in the use of artemisinin combination therapy. Malaria Journal. 2009;8(313).
9. Gupta S, Gunter JT, Novak RJ, Regens JL. Patterns of Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum malaria underscore importance of data collection from private health care facilities in India. Malaria Journal. 2009;8(227).
10. Gwatkin DR, Rutstein S, Johnson K, Suliman E, Wagstaff A, Amouzou A. Socio-economic Differences in Health, Nutrition, and Population within Developing Countries An Overview. Produced by the World Bank in collaboration with the Government of the Netherlands and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, 2007.