Predicting adult obesity from childhood obesity : A systematic review and meta-analysis
Simmonds, M.; Llewellyn, A.; Owen, C. G.; Woolacott, N.;
Subject: 2712 | 2739
A systematic review and meta-analysis was performed to investigate the ability of simple measures of childhood obesity such as body mass index (BMI) to predict future obesity in adolescence and adulthood. Large cohort studies, which measured obesity both in childhood an... View more
1. World Health Organization. Childhood overweight and obesity: WHO; [cited 2014 6th June]. Available from: http://www.who.int/ dietphysicalactivity/childhood/en/
2. Vucenik I, Stains JP. Obesity and cancer risk: evidence, mechanisms, and recommendations. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2012; 1271: 37-43.
3. Shields M, Tremblay MS, Connor Gorber S, Janssen I. Abdominal obesity and cardiovascular disease risk factors within body mass index categories. Health Rep 2012; 23(2): 7-15.
4. Ashwell M, Gunn P, Gibson S. Waist-to-height ratio is a better screening tool than waist circumference and BMI for adult cardiometabolic risk factors: systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Rev 2012; 13(3): 275-86.
5. Prospective Studies Collaboration. Body-mass index and causespecific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies. Lancet 2009; 373(9669): 1083-96.
6. Simmonds M, Burch J, Llewellyn A et al. The use of measures of obesity in childhood for predicting obesity and the development of obesity-related diseases in adulthood: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Health Technology Assessment 2015; 19(43).
7. Llewellyn A, Simmonds M, Owen CG, Woolacott N. Childhood obesity as a predictor of morbidity in adulthood: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Rev 2015 (Available online, DOI: 10.1111/ obr.12316)
8. Coutinho T, Goel K, Corrêa de Sá D et al. Combining body mass index with measures of central obesity in the assessment of mortality in subjects with coronary disease: role of “normal weight central obesity”. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 61(5): 553-60.
9. Wang Y, Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Hu FB. Comparison of abdominal adiposity and overall obesity in predicting risk of type 2 diabetes among men. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 81(3): 555-63.
10. Wald NJ, Morris JK. Assessing risk factors as potential screening tests: a simple assessment tool. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171(4): 286-91.