Background: Extensive debate surrounds the practice of continuous sedation until death to control refractory symptoms in terminal cancer care. We examined reported practice of United Kingdom, Belgian and Dutch physicians and nurses.\ud Methods: Qualitative case studies ... View more
1. Sterckx S, Raus K and Mortier F. Continuous sedation at the end of life: ethical, clinical and legal perspectives. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.
2. Verkerk M, van Wijlick E, Legemaate J, et al. A national guideline for palliative sedation in the Netherlands. J Pain Symptom Manage 2007; 34(6): 666-670.
3. Cherny NI and Radbruch L; Board of the European Association for Palliative Care. European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC) recommended framework for the use of sedation in palliative care. Palliat Med 2009; 23(7): 581-593.
4. De Graeff A and Dean M. Palliative sedation therapy in the last weeks of life: a literature review and recommendations for standards. J Palliat Med 2007; 10(1): 67-85.
5. Blondeau D, Roy L, Dumont S, et al. Physicians' and pharmacists' attitudes toward the use of sedation at the end of life: influence of prognosis and type of suffering. J Palliat Care 2005; 21(4): 238-245.
6. Reuzel RP, Hasselaar GJ, Vissers KC, et al. Inappropriateness of using opioids for end-stage palliative sedation: a Dutch study. Palliat Med 2008; 22(5): 641-646.
7. Swart SJ, van der Heide A, van Zuylen L, et al. Considerations of physicians about the depth of palliative sedation at the end of life. CMAJ 2012; 184(7): E360-E366.
8. Claessens P, Menten J, Schotsmans P, et al. Palliative sedation: a review of the research literature. J Pain Symptom Manage 2008; 36(3): 310-333.
9. Cohen J, van Delden J, Mortier F, et al. Influence of physicians' life stances on attitudes to end-of-life decisions and actual end-of-life decision-making in six countries. J Med Ethics 2008; 34(4): 247-253.
10. Pomerantz SC, Bhatt H, Brodsky NL, et al. Physicians' practices related to the use of terminal sedation: moral and ethical concerns. Palliat Support Care 2004; 2(1): 15-21.