Fractures of the proximal femur are one of the greatest challenges facing the medical community, constituting a heavy socioeconomic burden worldwide. The National Hip Fracture Audit currently provides a framework for service evaluation. This evaluation is based upon the... View more
1. Johnell O, Kanis JA. An estimate of the worldwide prevalence, mortality and disability associated with hip fracture. Osteoporosis Int 2004;15:897-902.
2. National Hip Fracture Database. www.nhfd.co.uk (date last accessed 6 November 2012).
3. Relton C, Torgerson D, O'Cathain A, Nicholl J. Rethinking pragmatic randomised controlled trials: introducing the “cohort multiple randomised controlled trial” design. BMJ 2010;340:1066.
4. No authors listed. Mental Capacity Act 2005. www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/ 2005/9/contents (date last accessed 6 November 2012).
5. Muller ME. Appendix A: The comprehensive classification of fractures of long bones. In: Muller ME, Allgower A, Schneider R, Wiilenegger H, eds. Manual of internal fixation: techniques recommended by the AO-ASIF Group. Third ed. Berlin Heidelberg New York: Springer-Verlag, 1995:118-150.
6. Parker MJ. Garden grading of intracapsular fractures: meaningful or misleading? Injury 1993;24:241-242.
7. Garden RS. Low-angle fixation in fractures of the femoral neck. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1961;43-B:647-663.
8. Carroll C, Stevenson M, Scope A, Evans P, Buckley S. Hemiarthroplasty and total hip arthroplasty for treating primary intracapsular fracture of the hip: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis. Health Technol Assess 2011;15:1-74.
9. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). TA161 Osteoporosis: secondary prevention including strontium ranelate, 2011. Alendronate, etidronate, risedronate, raloxifene, strontium ranelate and teriparatide for the secondary prevention of osteoporotic fragility fractures in postmenopausal women. http://www.nice.org.uk/TA161 (date last accessed 21 September 2012).
10. Marsh D, Currie C, Brown P, et al. The care of elderly patients with fragility fracture. London: British Orthopaedic Association, 2007. .