Feasibility of using administrative data to compare hospital performance in the EU.
Groene, O; Kristensen, S; Arah, OA; Thompson, CA; Bartels, P; Sunol, R; Klazinga, N; on behalf of the DUQUE Project;
Publisher: Oxford University Press (OUP)
OBJECTIVE /st>To describe hospitals' organizational arrangements relevant to the abstraction of administrative data, to report on the completeness of administrative data collected in the eight countries and to assess associations between organizational arrangements a... View more
1. Groene O, Skau JH, Frohlich A. An international review of projects on hospital performance assessment. Int J Qual Health Care 2008;20:162-71.
2. Burnett S, Renz A, Wiig S et al. Prospects for comparing European hospitals in terms of quality and safety: lessons from a comparative study in five countries. Int J Qual Health Care 2013;25:1-7.
3. Directive 2011/24/EU of the European Parliament and Of The Council of 9 March 2011 on the application of patients' rights in cross-border healthcare. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/ LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:088:0045:0065:EN: PDF (12 December 2013, date last accessed).
4. Iezzoni LI, Foley SM, Heeren T et al. A method for screening the quality of hospital care using administrative data: preliminary validation results. QRB Qual Rev Bull 1992;18:361-71.
5. Stevens AJ, Raftery J. Can health technologies be assessed using routine data? Int J Technol Assess Health Care 2005;21:96-103.
6. Davies SM, Geppert J, McClellan M et al. Refinement of the HCUP Quality Indicators. Technical Review Number 4. AHRQ Publication No. 01-0035. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2001.
7. Drösler SE, Romano PS, Tancredi DJ et al. International comparability of patient safety indicators in 15 OECD member countries: a methodological approach of adjustment by secondary diagnoses. Health Serv Res 2012;47:275-92.
8. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. AHRQ quality indicators. http://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/Downloads/ Software/SAS/V31/iqi_guide_v31.pdf (12 December 2013, date last accessed).
9. Quan H, Drösler S, Sundararajan V et al. Adaptation of AHRQ patient safety indicators for Use in ICD-10 administrative data by an international consortium. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ books/NBK43634/pdf/advances-quan_52.pdf (12 December 2013, date last accessed).
10. Burns EM, Rigby E, Mamidanna R et al. Systematic review of discharge coding accuracy. J Public Health 2012;34:138-48.