1. Talk given on 24th October, 2003 at the Writing Black Britain Conference, organised by Joan Anim-Addo as part of Black History month, Goldsmiths College, Deptford Town Hall, New Cross, London.
2. Italo Calvino Invisible Cities (Vintage, 1997) p. 11
3. A. E. Firth Goldsmith's College: A Centenary Account (Athlone Press, 1991) p. 19.
4. F. Bingham The Official Guide to the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford (Deptford Borough Council, 1915) p. 25
5. Borough of Lewisham Souvenir of the Opening of the Town Hall (Gaylard, 1905) p. 23
6. J. Coulter Lewisham and Deptford on Old Photography (Alan Sutton, 1990) p. 114
7. J Anim Addo The longest Journey: A history of Black Lewisham (Deptford Forum, 1995) p. 8 [OpenAIRE]
8. Ibid. p. 12
9. J. Conrad The Heart of Darkness (Oxford University Press, 1990) p. 136-137
10. J Anim Addo The longest Journey: A history of Black Lewisham (Deptford Forum, 1995) p. 8 [OpenAIRE]
11. Antonio Gramsci Selections from the Prison Notebooks (Lawrence and Wishart, 1971) p. 324.
12. Jess Steele Turning the tide: the history of everyday Deptford (Deptford Forum Publishing Ltd, 1983) p. 218
13. Joan Anim-Addo Longest Journey: A History of Black Lewisham (Deptford Forum Publishing Ltd, 1995) p. 137
14. His dissertation was later published and is amongst the first serious discussions of the politics of reggae. See Linton Kwesi Johnson (1976) 'Jamaican Rebel Music,' Race and Class, 17(4), 391-401
15. B. Alleyne Radicals Against Race (Berg, 2002)