The transmission dynamics of canine American cutaneous leishmaniasis in Huanuco, Peru
Reithinger, R; Espinoza, JC; Davies, CR;
Publisher: American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
mesheuropmc: parasitic diseases
The epidemiology of canine American cutaneous leishmaniasis (ACL) due to Leishmania (Viannia) spp. was investigated in HuÃ¡nuco, Peru to 1) describe the natural course of canine L. (Viannia) infections and 2) assess the role of domestic dogs as ACL reservoir hosts. Over... View more
1. Davies CR, Reithinger R, Campbell-Lendrum D, Feliciangeli D, Borges R, Rodriguez N, 2000. The epidemiology and control of leishmaniasis in Andean countries. Cad Saude Publica. 16: 925-950.
2. Ashford RW, 1996. Leishmaniasis reservoirs and their significance in control. Clin Dermatol 14: 523-532.
3. Reithinger R, Davies CR, 1999. Is the domestic dog (Canis familiaris) a reservoir host of American cutaneous leishmaniasis? A critical review of the current evidence. Am J Trop Med Hyg 61: 530-541.
4. Pirmez C, Coutinho SG, Marzochi MC, Nunes MP, Grimaldi G, 1988. Canine American cutaneous leishmaniasis: a clinical and immunological study in dogs naturally infected with Leishmania braziliensis braziliensis in an endemic area of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Am J Trop Med Hyg 38: 52-58.
5. Marco JD, Padilla AM, Diosque P, Fernandez MM, Malchiodi EL, Basombrio MA, 2001. Force of infection and evolution of lesions of canine tegumentary leishmaniasis in northwestern Argentina. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 96: 649-652.
7. Solano-Gallego L, Llull J, Ramos G, Riera C, Arboix M, Alberola J, Ferrer L, 2000. The Ibizian hound presents a predominantly cellular immune response against natural Leishmania infection. Vet Parasitol 90: 37-45.
8. Courtenay O, MacDonald DW, Lainson R, Shaw JJ, Dye C, 1994. Epidemiology of canine leishmaniasis: a comparative serological study of dogs and foxes in Amazon Brazil. Parasitology 109: 273-279.
9. Courtenay O, Quinnell RJ, Garcez LM, Shaw JJ, Dye C, 2002. Infectiousness in a cohort of Brazilian dogs: why culling fails to control visceral leishmaniasis in areas of high transmission. J Infect Dis 186: 1314-1320.
10. Reithinger R, Lambson BE, Barker DC, Davies CR, 2000. Use of PCR to detect Leishmania (Viannia) spp. in dog blood and bone marrow. J Clin Microbiol 38: 748-751.